[mou] Kentucky Warbler, LA Waterthrush, Bell's Vireo

Chad Heins odunamis@yahoo.com
Tue, 7 Jun 2005 08:46:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hey birders!

I had a chance to get out for a couple hours with Luke
Ulrich this morning.  We went over and found the
Kentucky Warbler singing loudly on the left trail at
Williams Nature Park (<1 mile west of Hwy 60 on Hwy
68).  The mosquitoes were thick and rather loud
themselves.

Just north of the south overlook on the same trail we
found a singing Lousiana Waterthrush.  It was below
the bluff singing along Minneopa Creek.

In the vicinity of the Kentucky Warbler there was an
odd songster that sounded vaguely like a Western
Tanager but definitely not a Scarlet Tanager.
Unfortunately the odd songster could not be located
visually and eventually ceased singing.

Adjacent Minneopa State Park also had a couple of
goodies.  The Bell's Vireo was quite vocal in the Wild
Plum thickets along the road on the prairie side of
the park.  Luke also spotted a Yellow-billed Cuckoo
just west of the dead oaks which cooperated by calling
from the thicket.  Tent caterpillars are everywhere so
keep an eye out.

One other late note.  I had an Acadian Flycatcher
singing in a ravine in Mankato on Sunday morning.  The
bird has not returned but if it does I will post
again.

Happy Birding!

Chad Heins
Mankato, MN