[mou] MRVAC - Jay Cooke State Park - Field Trip Report - 6/5 - 7/2005

EgretCMan@aol.com EgretCMan@aol.com
Tue, 7 Jun 2005 23:50:56 EDT

-------------------------------1118202656

6/5 - 7/2005

Minnesota River Valley Audubon Chapter
Jay Cooke State Park
Field Trip Report

4 - Participants
87 - Species observed

Spent 3 days leading a trip to Jay Cooke State Park and Carlton  county.  The
most unusual species observed over the three days, was a male  Spruce Grouse.
 This bird was observed by Nancy Jackson on Ditchbank Road,  about 1 mile
East of the Arrowhead Forest Road.  The bird was observed  crossing the road at
10:00am, on the 6th and we waited for about 20 minutes  and were unable to see
the bird again.  We also tried the area at  11:30am and again were unable to
relocate the bird.
Alder Flycatchers were observed in many locations throughout the county and
we also found one Olive-sided Flycatcher along W Chubb Lake Road.   Gray Jay's
were present along Ditchbank Road and Spirit Lake Road.  13  species of
Warblers were observed in the County, including Mourning  Warblers in 15
locations!!  There were also many Warblers observed and  heard in Jay Cooke State Park.
Also of interest to the group were, the  Purple Finch's that were heard and
observed in about a 1/2  dozen  locations throughout the county.

Here were some of my favorites and a few of the new birds for my Carlton
county list:

@ Spruce Grouse - 10:00am - Ditchbank Road, 1 mile East of Arrowhead  road.
@ Osprey - Moose Lake State Park
@ Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - Jay Cooke State Park and one observe on a  Yield
sign on CR 1.
@ Alder Flycatcher - Extremely abundant
@ Gray Jay
@ Common Raven
@ Brown Thrasher - just one on CR 120, 2 miles S of Hwy 210.
14 species of Warbler, with the number of Mourning Warblers being one of  the
highlights of the trip.
@ Northern Cardinal - One bird was heard along Kettle Lake Road, 2  miles S
of Hwy 210.
@ Eastern Meadowlark - several locations along CR 1.

Please note that there were several roads closed due to the recent  rains.
Ditchbank road is only accessible from the East.  Spirit  Lake Road is marked
closed to all vehicle traffic and many of the side roads off  of Ditchbank road
were very muddy and I don't believe that a regular cell  phone will have
service throughout much of the county.

Craig Mandel  - EgretCMan@aol.com - Minnetonka, MN

-------------------------------1118202656

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2627" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2><FONT id=3Drole_document face=3DArial=20=
color=3D#000000=20
size=3D2>
<DIV>6/5 - 7/2005</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Minnesota River Valley Audubon Chapter</DIV>
<DIV>Jay Cooke State Park</DIV>
<DIV>Field Trip Report</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>4 - Participants</DIV>
<DIV>87 - Species observed</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Spent 3 days leading a trip to Jay Cooke State Park and Carlton=20
county.&nbsp; The most unusual species observed over the three days, was a m=
ale=20
Spruce Grouse.&nbsp; This bird was observed by Nancy Jackson on Ditchbank Ro=
ad,=20
about 1 mile East of the Arrowhead Forest Road.&nbsp;&nbsp;The bird was obse=
rved=20
crossing the road at 10:00am, on the 6th&nbsp;and we waited for about 20 min=
utes=20
and were unable to&nbsp;see the bird again.&nbsp; We also tried the area at=20
11:30am and again were unable to relocate the bird.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>Alder Flycatchers were observed in many locations throughout the county=
 and=20
we also found one&nbsp;Olive-sided Flycatcher along W Chubb Lake Road.&nbsp;=
=20
Gray Jay's were present along Ditchbank Road and Spirit Lake Road.&nbsp; 13=20
species of Warblers were observed in the County,&nbsp;including Mourning=20
Warblers in 15 locations!!&nbsp; There were also many Warblers observed and=20
heard in Jay Cooke State Park.&nbsp; Also of interest to the group were, the=
=20
Purple Finch's that were heard and observed in about a&nbsp;1/2&nbsp; dozen=20
locations throughout the county. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Here were some of my favorites and a few of the new birds for my Carlto=
n=20
county list:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>@ Spruce Grouse - 10:00am - Ditchbank Road, 1 mile East of Arrowhead=20
road.</DIV>
<DIV>@ Osprey - Moose Lake State Park</DIV>
<DIV>@ Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - Jay Cooke State Park and one observe on a=20
Yield sign on CR 1.</DIV>
<DIV>@ Alder Flycatcher - Extremely abundant</DIV>
<DIV>@ Gray Jay</DIV>
<DIV>@ Common Raven</DIV>
<DIV>@ Brown Thrasher - just one on CR 120, 2 miles S of Hwy 210.</DIV>
<DIV>14 species of Warbler, with the number of Mourning Warblers being one o=
f=20
the highlights of the trip.</DIV>
<DIV>@ Northern Cardinal -&nbsp;One bird was heard along Kettle Lake Road, 2=
=20
miles S of Hwy 210.</DIV>
<DIV>@ Eastern Meadowlark - several locations along CR 1.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Please note that there were several roads closed due to the recent=20
rains.&nbsp;&nbsp;Ditchbank road is only accessible from the East.&nbsp; Spi=
rit=20
Lake Road is marked closed to all vehicle traffic and many of the side roads=
 off=20
of Ditchbank road were very muddy and&nbsp;I don't believe that a regular ce=
ll=20
phone will have service throughout much of the county.&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 PTSIZE=3D"10" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF"=
>Craig Mandel=20
- EgretCMan@aol.com - Minnetonka, MN=20
</FONT></DIV></DIV></FONT></FONT></BODY></HTML>