[mou] birds and birders: continuing conversation

Jim Williams two-jays@att.net
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 09:12:08 -0500

Forward by Jim Williams
Wayzata

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Ted Lee Eubanks" <eubanks@io.com>
Date: June 9, 2005 7:54:18 AM CDT
To: "'Sheri Williamson'" <tzunun@mindspring.com>,
<ohio-birds@envirolink.org>
Cc: <Haans@Neffp.com>, <penn0107@umn.edu>, <savetheriver@COX.NET>,
<Conservationthroughbirding@yahoogroups.com>

Thanks for the note, Sheri. However, I would caution you about any
conclusions about cause of death. I recently returned from a trip to
Chiapas, where I learned of an incident that might shed light on this
case.
A tour group had called a Tropical Screech-Owl onto an exposed perch
through the use of a taped call. As the tour group enjoyed leisurely
views of the screech-owl, a Mottled Owl swooped in and eliminated the
competitor. Did birding lead to the screech-owl's demise? Certainly.
While we may never know what caused the death of the redstart, your
report certainly calls into
question the behavior of birders in the area and the potential impact
on the
bird.

Haans Petruschke comments that "birding is the only sport I know of,
with a
written code of this sort." As with much of his letter, he seems to have
done little research to support his contentions. Here is the "Fair
Chase"
code of ethics from Boone and Crockett. I have inserted our recreation
where
appropriate:

     1. Obey all applicable laws and regulations.

     2. Respect the customs of the locale where the hunting [BIRDING]
occurs.

     3. Exercise a personal code of behavior that reflects favorably on
your
abilities and sensibilities as a hunter [BIRDER].

     4. Attain and maintain the skills necessary to make the kill
[IDENTIFICATION} as certain and quick as possible.

     5. Behave in a way that will bring no dishonor to either the hunter
[BIRDER], the hunted [BIRD], or the environment.

     6. Recognize that these tenets are intended to enhance the hunter's
[BIRDER'S] experience of the relationship between predator [OBSERVER]
and
prey [BIRD] , which is one of the most fundamental relationships of
humans
and their environment.

 From the comments I have seen from you (Sheri) and others, I would doubt
that the behavior by some birders in Arizona reflected favorably on the
recreation. I would agree with most of us wish to use an ethical
standard to
"enhance the birder's experience." The comment that "reports now of 50
birders scrambling about, actually running down the Comfort Springs
Trail,
which is no trail to be running down, and near traffic jams on Carr
Canyon
Road..." seems incompatible with an "enhanced" experience. The bird's
demise, of course, leaves this question unresolved. No bird, no birding.

The comment from Mr. Petruschke that "I feel the suggestion that
birders are
to blame for the death of this bird is not only irresponsible and
completely
without merit it is also has no basis in science and anyone who claims
to be
practicing science and makes this assertion has no credibility
whatsoever"
is one of those self-serving assertions that makes me cringe. Too much
hyperbole, too little fact. Events of this sort should always provoke
self-reflection on the part of the recreation. How else do we improve,
or
progress? Surely Mr. Petruschke is not arguing for a static,
tradition-bound
recreation not willing to advance.

Finally, I always love to see the shop-worn "the bird is lost"
argument. The
bird is lost, therefore the bird is disposable. What always amazes me
is how
this argument always ignores the thousands of incidences where "lost"
birds
actually return year after year to the same area. Arizona and South
Texas
are excellent examples of regions where the appearance of individual
rarities may portend future range expansions. Tropical Kingbirds and
Clay-colored Robins in South Texas began with the appearance of single
individuals as well. As Sheri notes, the Slate-throated Redstart is
hardly a
long-distance vagrant. The bird has now been found in summer in West
Texas
as well. Given the proximity of its native range to the U.S., and the
well-documented phenomenon of northern Mexican birds ranging northward
in
recent years, I would be hesitant to characterize a Slate-throated
Redstart
in Arizona as an anomaly (no more than the original Eared Quetzal or
Black-capped Gnatcatcher).

Ted Eubanks