[mou] When to cut hay

Laura Erickson bluejay@lauraerickson.com
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:13:21 -0500

I've been doing research for my book and my radio program about when the
best time is to cut hay if there are bobolinks, meadowlarks, and other
grassland birds on the hayfield. (Well--they're on, or SHOULD be on, EVERY
hayfield, but...)  Marge Gibson, bird rehabber extraordinaire, sent me some
suggestions.  If anyone has anything to add, I've posted what I have on my
blog today.

<http://www.birderblog.com/index.php?v=06-24-05#06-24-05_074708.txt>

I'd appreciate any additional information.  Meanwhile, if you have a
hayfield, or friends or relatives with one, encourage them to WAIT until
baby songbirds have fledged if at all possible.

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

www.birderblog.com

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of
birds.  There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

                                 --Rachel Carson