[mou] Henslow's Sparrow--Olmsted County

John Hockema jhockema@hotmail.com
Sun, 26 Jun 2005 22:03:34 -0500

6/26/05-- Olmsted County

Yesterday, Saturday, my brother Chris and I found a single, t-slicking
HENSLOW'S SPARROW at Chester Woods County Park, approximately 5 miles east
of Rochester on Hwy. 14.

As you enter the park, go past the contact station, and you will see a
large, brome field on your left.  Park in the lot closest to the fishing
pier and proceed to the trails heading northeast from the parking area.  The
fields are thick with sedge wrens and dickcissels along with eastern
meadowlarks.  We also saw a female nothern harrier fly over us as we headed
east.  As the trail begins to parallel Hwy. 14, begin to listen for the
sparrow.

The area is fairly extensive and there may be more than one Henslow's in the
field.  As long as I can remember, I have never been witness to so many
Henslow's sparrows in the state in one year!  I have personally see/heard
them in Carver, Dakota, Fillmore, Olmsted, Sherburne, Wabasha, and Winona.
The sparrows have been present in at least 15 counties, if not more (!),
this summer.

To follow-up: Chris Benson, along with his cousin Murphy, also saw/heard the
sparrow today, Sunday, around mid-morning.

John Hockema
Rochester, MN