[mou] Prairie Warbler/Dakota Co

Dan & Sandy Thimgan thimgan@digitaljam.com
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:07:50 -0500

Sorry for the late post, but thanks to Jim Mattson's comprehensive earlier
directions, we saw the male Prairie Warbler this weekend at Ritter Farm Park
near Lakeville, MN, just south of the Twin Cities.  It looks like this bird
is set up for the season.  Go visit!

We saw the bird on Saturday, June 25, about 1:00 pm.  A male, he was notably
singing from the top of the "dead tree" as described by Jim Mattson below.
In our short time there, we did NOT see a female bird or other nesting
activity.

Thanks Jim!

Dan & Sandy Thimgan
Otter Tail County
Battle Lake, MN

-----------------------------

Below are Jim Mattson's able directions from an earlier posting:

------------------------------
DIRECTIONS FROM TWIN CITIES:
Take I 35W south to 185th Street exit. (After the exit, turn left directing
you to the opposite side of the Interstate.)  Take the service road south
(right) along the east side of I 35W for about a mile and then turn right
(west) and go over freeway. Take first right at sign for Ritter Park and
continue for 1/2 mile or so until you come to the main parking lot. Go
through the gate to the trailhead and you will see a map on a post. There
are no maps available for the taking, so look closely at this one. Follow
these instructions:

It takes about 12-15 mins. to walk from the parking lot to the bird's
territory. Stay on the main trail (which immediately branches right at a
fork) and proceed north for a few hundred meters until you come to Shelter
#4. Continue past shelter and stay to your right where the trail forks.
Continue on this trail for a few hundred more meters until the trail
parallels the north boundary fence. You will be walking west and there will
be a row of evergreens on your left at this point. On your left you will
soon see a small white sign that reads "Grant-in-Aid Trail".  You are at the
NE edge of PRAW territory and have probably heard him sing by now. Just
ahead is a dead tree that hangs out over the trail. This is a frequently
used perch so keep checking it. I obtained fairly good documentation photos
here. Continue on the trail and it will soon turn sharply to the left. About
20 m west along the fence row from this point is a tall cherry (Prunus) tree
and an elm tree on you right. The cherry is a favorite tree. Continue south
  and you will see a post with a blue diamond on your left. From here you
can see the bird's entire territory. Look to the SW about 30 m on the right
side of trail and you will see a 20 ft box elder with a double trunk. This
is probably the most frequented tree. From the post with the blue diamond
you can see all of the main perches. A little patience and he should show up
within minutes. Sort through the goldfinches and Yellow Warblers. Don't be
confused (like me) by some of the oddball Field Sparrow songs in the area.

Of course, I would appreciate hearing if anyone sees a female or an adult
carrying food. Use good judgment and everyone should be able to see this
little guy.

Good luck and good birding,

Jim