[mou] RE: [mnbird] Dead Redpoll and Siskin Answer

Alt, Mark Mark.Alt@bestbuy.com
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 16:36:37 -0600

I have found the only way to clean them adequately is to use a diluted
bleach solution and scrub them until they are clean. A bottle brush can
be very useful for this.=20

Mark Alt=20
Brooklyn Center, MN=20
mark.alt@bestbuy.com=20
"I recalled that I had read somewhere that in the Middle Ages Hell was
envisioned as a place without birds." Jim Harrison=20

-----Original Message-----
From: mnbird-admin@lists.mnbird.net
[mailto:mnbird-admin@lists.mnbird.net] On Behalf Of sharonks@mn.rr.com
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 3:56 PM
To: mnbird@lists.mnbird.net
Cc: mou-net@cbs.umn.edu
Subject: [mnbird] Dead Redpoll and Siskin Answer

I just got a call from Carrol Henderson.  The early tests on the redpoll
carcasses had suggested that the redpolls and siskins were dying of
something viral not fungal, however the tests have concluded that the
redpolls died of Salmonella E. =20

This outbreak of salmonella is widespread with reports of dead birds
from several areas including Minnesota, Vermont, Virginia, Michigan and
Quebec just to name a few.

One of the ways birds are probably spreading it is through fecal
material built up around feeding areas.  The best thing to do when this
occurs is remove finch feeders and thoroughly clean them.  It is also a
good idea to keep the feeders in for a week to encourage the redpolls
and siskins to move on to other areas and cut back on the chance of it
spreading at your feeder.  Also, it is important to clean up the area
under the feeders as well.

One one other note is that salmonella is transmittable to cats so if you
have a problem with a neighbor's cat at your feeder, you might want to
warn them to keep their cat indoors for a week (or preferably the rest
of the cat's life).

For more information go to:
http://www.promedmail.org/pls/promed/f?p=3D2400:1202:1270844280450585230:=
: