[mou] Great gray owl murder mystery at Rice Lake NWR, Aitkin Co.

Michelle_McDowell@fws.gov Michelle_McDowell@fws.gov
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 12:58:45 -0700

--=_alternative 006DB8EB86256FBF_=

Here's the case:  2, possibly 3, great gray owl carcasses (just feathers
and feet) along the hiking trail and wildlife drive; no mammalian tracks;
a 4 in length x 1.5 in diameter was found yesterday by one of the
carcasses chocked full of gray feather quills.  My guess is a great horned
owl is protecting a nesting territory.  Any other hypotheses?

Michelle McDowell
Wildlife Biologist
Rice Lake National Wildlife Refuge
McGregor, MN
218-768-2402
--=_alternative 006DB8EB86256FBF_=

great gray owl carcasses (just feathers and feet) along the hiking trail
and wildlife drive; no mammalian tracks; a 4 in length x 1.5 in diameter
was found yesterday by one of the carcasses chocked full of gray feather
quills. &nbsp;My guess is a great horned owl is protecting a nesting territory.
&nbsp;Any other hypotheses?</font>
Wildlife Biologist<br>
Rice Lake National Wildlife Refuge<br>
McGregor, MN<br>