[mou] BOREAL OWL and Bohemian Waxwings in POLK COUNTY

SeEtta Moss seetta@msn.com
Wed, 09 Mar 2005 22:00:49 -0700

The recent post copied in part below  is one of the reasons why the behavior
of both birders and photographers who ROLE MODEL getting close to owls is a
problem.  Laura, do you or anyone else want to defend taking photos from
3 feet from a Boreal Owl?  3 feet!  When more experienced persons are either
seen, or there is discussion defending their close proximity, how can one
not expect that less experience and unknowing persons (and I believe this
person was inexperienced and unknowing) will push the envelope--what's next,
someone reaching out to touch the owl because they read that these northern
owls are not bothered by human presence.  Both our behavior in the field and
what we say on these listserves can shape the actions of others, either way.
  SeEtta Moss

<<<  Grumbling to myself about leaving a nice camera that I borrow home,
<<<I broke my own rule for viewing wildlife and crept as close as I could.
<<<When my hand was less than 3 feet from the bird I decided to back off and
<<<discontinue the photo shoot.

<<<After lunch I lead the entire group of about 60 students plus 10 adults
<<<see the very tame owl.  People associate much better with owl than they
do
<<<waxwing or warbler so the announcement generated a good buzz and everyone
<<<was excited to go see it.  At 1210 everyone walked out to the edge of the
<<<road and the children leaned over the snow bank 10 feet from the bird and
<<<talked and laughed as I explained the ecology of the bird and why it
would
<<<be this far south when it lives in Canada.  After a few minutes the kids
<<<left and I went in for lunch.