[mou] Winona County GGOW

Jeff Dankert renohawk@hbci.com
Sat, 12 Mar 2005 13:17:12 -0600

I saw the Winona County great gray owl from 9:30 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.
Saturday morning at one of its usual locations: just east of the Klassen
farmstead as viewed from Fremont Drive.

The bird spent this time on fence posts along a grassy fencerow about
200 yards from the road. It frequently changed perches and was actively
hunting the entire time.

However, it did not come within photography range.

>From Utica on U.S. Highway 14, the bird was 4 miles south on County Road
33 (County Road 33 is the boundary between Saratoga and Fremont
Townships). The farmstead is on the southeast corner of this
intersection, with spruce and pine windbreaks. The gravel road going
east is signed "Fremont Drive."

>From other e-mail posts, it is apparent the bird also spends time
farther south, at or near the intersection of County Roads 33 and 6.

See B4, page 26, of the Delorme atlas.

Happy owling,
Jeff Dankert
908 Parks Ave Apt 158