[mou] Pine and Aitkin county Owls and others

Heidi Ferguson kinglet102@yahoo.com
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:07:16 -0800 (PST)

--0-473578481-1110820036=:76456

Hi All,

I did a long trip on Saturday to see the owls.  Since I won't be able to get back to the area for a while I think this is the last time I might see so many.  It's been great!  Thanks to whomever at the Rice Lake Refuge that placed the wonderful highlighted maps in the door.  It was very helpful!!!!!

I saw 40  total GGOs.  Most of the areas have already been reported.  Here are a few other spots.   In the small town of Cloverdale just west of Hinkley I found 3.  I also found 5 north of the diversion channal off of cty road 22.  I didn't find any on cty road 1 where last weekend there were apparently many.

Also seen.
Three Hawk owls, 1 near Kimberly, 1 in Rice Lake Refuge and one north of Aitkin on cty road one.
Two Northern Shrikes both near the junction of Aitkin cty road 1 and 3
Two Rough Legged Hawks Aitkin Cty road 1 near Osprey lane.  Also saw three other raptors above the field but they were too high for me to id well.
I gray phase northern Harrier same area
Snow buntings - at Aitkin cty road 22 near cty road 1 and in Pine county outside of the Bruno Cemetary cty raod 43.
Common redpolls - Palisade, Refuge headquarters and a very docile 100+ flock at the Cloverdale store in Pine cty.

Best photo op was with the Hawk Owl near Kimberly.  At one point it made lunch of a little vole that was scampering 5 feet from my car. (Good things come to those who wait).  Then after downing the vole, it took up a perch on a power pole that had a fake great horned owl mounted on it.

I had lunch in the New smoke free internet cafe in Aitkin.  A large bowl of soup and a sandwhich came to $5.  I highly recommend the cafe.  It's across the street from the Ben Franklin.

Heidi Ferguson
St. Paul

--0-473578481-1110820036=:76456

<DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Hi All, </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I did a long trip on Saturday to see the owls.&nbsp; Since I won't be able to get back to the area for a while I think this is the last time I might see so many.&nbsp; It's been great!&nbsp; Thanks to whomever at the Rice Lake Refuge that placed the&nbsp;wonderful highlighted maps in the door.&nbsp; It was very helpful!!!!!&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I saw&nbsp;40 &nbsp;total GGOs.&nbsp; Most of the areas have already been reported.&nbsp; Here are a few other spots.&nbsp;&nbsp; In the small town of Cloverdale just west of Hinkley I found 3.&nbsp; I also found 5 north of the diversion channal off of cty road 22.&nbsp; I didn't find any on cty road 1 where last weekend there were apparently many. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Also seen.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>Three Hawk owls, 1 near Kimberly, 1 in Rice Lake Refuge and one north of Aitkin on cty road one.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>Two Northern Shrikes both near the junction of Aitkin cty road 1 and 3</DIV>
<DIV>Two Rough Legged Hawks Aitkin Cty road 1 near Osprey lane.&nbsp; Also saw three other raptors above the field but they were too high for me to id well. </DIV>
<DIV>I gray phase northern Harrier same area</DIV>
<DIV>Snow buntings - at Aitkin cty road 22 near cty road 1 and in Pine county outside of the Bruno Cemetary cty raod 43.</DIV>
<DIV>Common redpolls - Palisade, Refuge headquarters&nbsp;and a very docile 100+ flock at the Cloverdale store in Pine cty.&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Best photo op was with the Hawk Owl near Kimberly.&nbsp; At one point it made lunch of a little vole that was scampering 5 feet from my car.&nbsp;(Good things come to those who wait). &nbsp;Then after downing the vole, it took up a perch on a power pole that had a fake great horned owl mounted on it.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I had lunch in the New smoke free internet cafe in Aitkin.&nbsp; A large bowl of soup and a sandwhich came to $5.&nbsp; I highly recommend the cafe.&nbsp; It's across the street from the Ben Franklin.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Heidi Ferguson</DIV>
<DIV>St. Paul </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>