[mou] Tens of thousands of Geese in Watonwan County

Brad Bolduan bbolduan@rconnect.com
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:46:22 -0600

I didn't have any optics so I was unable to pick through the flocks very
well, but the subject line about says it all.

A couple large flocks of snow geese got my attention and pulled me off Hwy
60.  I guessed there were thousands of geese in those flocks.

Once off the highway I drove a few miles south to the Sulem Lake area.  For
about three miles north to south and three miles east to west many of the
unplowed cornfields contained large numbers of canada geese.  There had to
be tens of thousands.

I did not see any white-fronts until I pulled off the road to listen.  As
soon as I pulled off I flushed about 200 geese about 30 of them were
white-fronts.  Another ten white-fronts didn't flush although all the canada
geese around them did.  I have no idea how many white-fronts were present,
obviously there were at least forty.  Most of the flocks I saw in flight
appeared to be pure canada goose flocks.

It will be interesting to see how goose migration proceeds with storms
predicted.

Brad Bolduan
Windom