[mou] Aitkin Cnty Spruce Grouse

mike danzenbaker jm_danzenbaker_alt@yahoo.com
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:00:17 -0800 (PST)

I feel a bit silly for having posted the Duluth Golden
Eagle, thinking it might be unusual (I've now been
informed it's not), and having neglected to mention a
Spruce Grouse I saw in Aitkin Cnty Saturday, which
I've since been informed by Chris Fagyal and
indirectly by Warren Nelson would be very unusual for
the county.

On Saturday morning at approx. 11 am, I was driving up
64 north of Tamarack, a dirt road that seems to be a
continuation of CR31.  Less than a mile before it ends
/ bends left, I was passing through a small stand of
mixed spruce and some deciduous and encountered a male
Spruce Grouse crouched on the shoulder.  It gave me an
excellent view of all diagnostic characters except the
chestnut tail tips as I slowed down passing it.  I
made a U-turn with an idea to taking photos, not so
much because I thought it was a rarity but simply
because it was a Spruce Grouse, which to me is a
desirable bird no matter where it is.  As I came to a
stop about 100' from the bird, it began walking across
the road, and then took flight (thus no photos).  At
this time, the chestnut terminal tail band was
conspicuous.  But even without this mark being seen,
the ID was never in question, especially as I'd seen
Sharp-tailed Grouse earlier that day and Ruffed Grouse
on preceding weekends.

Sorry this info comes a bit late.

Mike