[mou] Weekend update from Aitkin

Warren Nelson wenelson@mlecmn.net
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 21:37:03 -0600

Bill Stauffer and I birded around the area on Saturday and I did a
little birding on my own on Sunday and we found a few interesting
things.  The most interesting things were a beautiful GOLDEN EAGLE on
Saturday about 10 miles north of Aitkin on hwy 169 and a VARIED THRUSH
just south of Deerwood in Crow Wing County with thanks to Steve and Jo
Blanich. Other spring arrivals and winter hold overs: EASTERN BLUEBIRD,
SANDHILL CRANE, TRUMPETER SWANS, dozens of HOODED MERGANSERS, WOODDUCKS,
MALLARDS, CANADA GEESE, RED-SHOULDERED HAWK, SHARP-SHINNED HAWK,
SHARP-TAILED GROUSE,2 NORTHERN SHRIKES, lots of ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS and
of course the weekend owl totals of 72 GREAT GRAY OWLS ( 31 on C.R.1, 12
on C.R.24, 14 along C.R. 6 and 31 north of Tamarack) and 3 NORTHERN HAWK
OWLS ( 1 on C.R. 1 and 2 along C.R. 6 and 31 north of Tamarack).
Warren Nelson