[mou] late post

DEE ANN BARTKEY deeann07@msn.com
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:39:57 -0600

Hi everyone,
  Sorry for this posting being late!

  Yesterday, late afternoon, about 4:50 p.m. I spotted a Ross' Goose at
South Alexander Park here in Faribault. It was closer to the north side of
the river and swimming with a small flock of Canada Geese. I decided to
drive around to North Alexander Park to observe the bird closer, but
unfortunately when I arrived, the flock of geese had flown off thanks to a
guy in a flourescent green kayak!

  I saw a Ross' Goose here three years ago, and have gotten them in Rice
County 3 out of the last 5 years. In my experience, they have hung around
for at least a couple of days. I'm not sure if it was around earlier today,
as I was at work, but when checking there this evening (around 5:40) it
wasn't present. But the river was pretty empty due to the Bald Eagle perched
low over the river...

  Alexander Park, north and south, is right in Faribault proper, next to
both the Woolen Mills and the fairgrounds. Waterfowl observation is very
good here generally. There has been a decent variety of ducks and geese here
recently.

  At Wells Lake this evening, there was a very large amount of birds
including my first Common Loons (2), & Blue-winged Teal (3) of the season,
and two big rafts of Canvasbacks and Ruddy Ducks. 59 and 66 respectively.
The Northern Shovelers have also arrived in great numbers, as between 150 -
225 were seen.

  Still dreaming of winning the lottery, qiutting my job, and birding 27/7!

Good birding to all!

Dave Bartkey
Faribault,MN