[mou] MRVAC - Rice & Le Sueur Counties Birding Day - Field Trip Report - 3/29/05

EgretCMan@aol.com EgretCMan@aol.com
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:37:56 EST

-------------------------------1112215076

3/29/05

Minnesota River Valley Audubon Chapter
Rice & Le Sueur Counties Birding Day
Field Trip Report

11 - Participants
66 - Species observed

We started our field trip at Cliff Fen Park in Burnsville, at 5:00am in
search of American Woodcocks.  We were successful in both seeing and  hearing
these wonderful birds.  With several birds flying only 10 to 15  feet over our
group as they performed there aerial display's.  From  there we headed down to
Rice county and some of our first county birds were a  group of Sandhill Cranes
that were observed flying over a Marsh on CR 59,  just East of Baseline Road.
River Bend Nature Center offered us wonderful  observations of Song, American
Tree and Fox Sparrows, a Purple  Finch and several large Kettle's of Hawks.
We checked the following  lakes that were open, Well's, Union, Cannon, Lower
Sakatah Lakes.  In Le  Sueur County we checked the west end of Sakatah Lake and
the Waterville Fish  Hatchery Ponds.  On these we found Common Loons,
Pied-billed Grebes,  16 species of Ducks, including Greater Scaup on the open portion
of water  in the town of Waterville.  We encounter many Raptor's during the
day  including Turkey Vultures and a good look at an immature Northern Goshawk.
  Here's a list of some of the species observed:

@ Tundra Swan
@ Greater Scaup
@ Common Loon
@ Pied-billed Grebe
@ Turkey Vulture
@ Northern Goshawk
@ American Woodcock
@ Great Horned Owl
@ Belted Kingfisher
@ Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
@ Eastern Phoebe
@ Tree Swallow
@ Fox Sparrow
@ Purple Finch

Craig Mandel  - EgretCMan@aol.com - Minnetonka, MN

-------------------------------1112215076

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2604" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV>3/29/05</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Minnesota River Valley Audubon Chapter</DIV>
<DIV>Rice &amp; Le Sueur Counties Birding Day</DIV>
<DIV>Field Trip Report</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>11 - Participants</DIV>
<DIV>66 - Species observed</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>We started our field trip at Cliff Fen Park in Burnsville, at 5:00am in=
=20
search of American Woodcocks.&nbsp;&nbsp;We were successful in both seeing a=
nd=20
hearing these wonderful birds.&nbsp; With several birds flying only 10 to 15=
=20
feet over our group as they performed there aerial display's.&nbsp;&nbsp;Fro=
m=20
there we headed down to Rice county and some of our first county birds were=20=
a=20
group of Sandhill Cranes that were observed flying over a Marsh on&nbsp;CR 5=
9,=20
just East of Baseline Road.&nbsp; River Bend Nature Center offered us wonder=
ful=20
observations of&nbsp;Song, American Tree and Fox Sparrows, a Purple=20
Finch&nbsp;and several large Kettle's of Hawks.&nbsp; We checked the followi=
ng=20
lakes that were open, Well's, Union, Cannon, Lower Sakatah Lakes.&nbsp; In L=
e=20
Sueur County we checked the west end of Sakatah Lake and the Waterville Fish=
=20
Hatchery Ponds.&nbsp;&nbsp;On these we found Common Loons, Pied-billed Grebe=
s,=20
16 species of Ducks, including Greater Scaup&nbsp;on the open portion of wat=
er=20
in the town of Waterville.&nbsp; We encounter many Raptor's during the day=20
including Turkey Vultures and a good look at an immature Northern Goshawk.&n=
bsp;=20
Here's a list of some of the species observed:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>@ Tundra Swan</DIV>
<DIV>@ Greater Scaup</DIV>
<DIV>@ Common Loon</DIV>
<DIV>@ Pied-billed Grebe</DIV>
<DIV>@ Turkey Vulture</DIV>
<DIV>@ Northern Goshawk</DIV>
<DIV>@ American Woodcock</DIV>
<DIV>@ Great Horned Owl</DIV>
<DIV>@ Belted Kingfisher</DIV>
<DIV>@ Yellow-bellied Sapsucker </DIV>
<DIV>@ Eastern Phoebe</DIV>
<DIV>@ Tree Swallow</DIV>
<DIV>@ Fox Sparrow</DIV>
<DIV>@ Purple Finch</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" PTSIZE=3D"10"=
- EgretCMan@aol.com - Minnetonka, MN </FONT></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>