[mou] RE: [mnbird] widgeon 7:15AM

Alt, Mark Mark.Alt@bestbuy.com
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:36:41 -0600

Please, with any more updates on the status for the Eurasian Widgeon,
please take time to post to both list servers, Mnbird and MOU-net. This
is certainly a sighting worthy of double-posting to ensure updates are
shared. Thank you for your consideration on this matter.=20

Mark Alt=20
MOU President
mark.alt@bestbuy.com
C/O J. F. Bell Museum of Natural History
University of Minnesota
10 Church Street SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455-0104
MOU.mn.org

-----Original Message-----
From: mnbird-admin@lists.mnbird.net
[mailto:mnbird-admin@lists.mnbird.net] On Behalf Of carol schumacher
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 9:42 AM
To: mnbird@lists.mnbird.net
Subject: [mnbird] wigeon 7:15AM

The Eurasian Wigeon was seen briefly this morning and
I watched it fly NW. (It was not refound yesterday
after 10:30AM).  I could not stay.=20
=20
The ducks are very jumpy today. Even while staying in
my car, they swam out to deeper water. We have a very
strong cold NW wind. With open water, its almost
brutal out there.=20

Answers to other questions:
Directions are based directions in my post yesterday.

1) restrooms:  at the PI deer park, primitive

Kwik Trip in Minnesota City along Hwy 61:  to reach it
from PI backtrack toward Hwy 61 and Hwy 248. Once on
Harbor Drive, turn right on Wehnonah Street. =20

After crossing the tracks, turn LEFT and this will
take you to Hwy 61.  Drive a mile or two to the Kwik
Trip on your left.

2) Locals may not be checking on the bird anymore. The
only way I'll know if its here or not is if you call
us.  507-452-2482. If I'm out, Paul will know if its
been seen or not. Or he will tell you there is no
report.  My cell is 507-452-2482. Help fellow birders
by calling.

3) Every stretch of water and wetlands may need to be
searched. PI has lots of water so bring friends.=20

The river ice got jammed into the boat landing. Once
the ice is gone, there will be substantially more boat
traffic from the landing that will pass by the
vegetation described in the previous post.=20

4) Please park at the wide pavement near the 35mph
sign.  Other pavement is signed NO parking pavement.

Every community has its quirks.  Here is one: many
locals use the PI road to shave time between downtown
and Rollingstone and MN City.  They travel very fast,
much faster than the posted speed and don't use
caution. This is not your typical MMR.   =20

Caution: pulling off the narrow pavement on the South
side is risky thus you'll see occasional "soft
shoulder" signs. It takes no time to get stuck. The
firm ground is clear vegetation.=20

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Other items: C. Loons have been silently flying over,
Ruddy Ducks have arrived.  Lake Winona is still iced
and 4/1 is a typical "ice out" date.
=20
Once TC lakes open up, its likely the duck population
will decrease.=20
Good luck.
Carol

carol schumacher    birdminn@yahoo.com    winona=20
                            www.birdminnesota.com
Never do I send attachments, photos, or files

	=09