[mou] more on duck stamps (new one out June 30)

Jim Williams two-jays@att.net
Thu, 12 May 2005 12:41:51 -0500

If you would rather not read additional comment on why birders should
buy duck stamps, delete now.

Otherwise .....

Subject: Re: What do Duck Stamps and Ivory-bills have in common?

Answer:  The Cache River National Wildlife Refuge.

I wanted to reflect some on the past use of Duck Stamp dollars.  A large
number of conservation partners have been long working on the Big Woods
Conservation Partnership.  However, I thought folks might be interested
learn a little about the Cache River specifically and what pivotal role
was
played through the efforts and vision of duck hunters, including both
local
and national advocates and of course funds raised through the purchase
of
Duck Stamps.  Paraphrasing from some talking points that Dennis Widner,
the
Poject Leader for Cache River, provided recently I'd like to make a few
points below on the history behind the Cache and how it relates today to
the rediscovery of Ivory-billed Woodpecker:

1.  If it had not been for the concern of duck hunters to save the
Cache,
notably Dr. Rex Hancock, the habitat where this bird is found would not
exist today.  Duck hunters from across the nation contributed to the
Coalition to Save the Cache which led the battle which ultimately was
victorious and also led to the establishment of the refuge.

2.  Duck Hunters basically purchased the bulk of Cache River NWR through
the purchase of duck stamps.

3.  This bird was located in the premier duck hunting area in AR and has
undoubtedly cohabited the area with duck hunters.

4.  When you look at all the above and sum it up, the habitat would not
be
here, the refuge would not be here, and the ivory bill would not be
here if
it were not for waterfowl hunters.

I read that the Duck Stamp contest will be held for the first time
outside
of Washington later this year at DU Headquarters in Memphis, TN.  This
is
about a two hour drive from where the Ivory-billed Woodpecker can be
found
(but remember actually seeing it is another matter, can't help make that
tie in with Elvis again).  It's been a while since I have thought this
far
ahead about buying next year's Duck Stamp, I hope ya'll will reflect on
this past also and what it has led to in the present when thinking
whether
you will buy that Duck Stamp this year.

Thanks,

Chuck Hunter
Partners in Flight

========

Response from Paul Baicich
Swarovski Birding and
National Wildlife Refuge Association

Way to go, Chuck!

To me, however, the issue also begs a vital question:  "Can we get MORE
people to buy the stamp - and can we secure more habitat in refuges - by
getting a commitment to spend 2005-2006 stamp revenue on Ivory-billed
Woodpecker habitat in Arkansas, Mississippi, and Louisiana?"

Since there are some VERY good reasons why ALL the revenue for the
2005-2006 stamp shouldn't be dedicated to that region, how about
EVERYTHING
ABOVE the expected regular yearly stamp income of $25 million?

General message: "It's not just for duck habitat!"  (Of course, the fact
that it IS duck habitat, surely helps!)

The stamp is to be released on 30 June (Hooded Merganser pictured). It
would be fabulous if we could get a commitment in advance of the
release,
so that birders, enviros, and other folks of good will (yes, people
BESIDES
waterfowlers who are required to get the stamp) can start buying the
stamp
from day one.

Paul Baicich