[mou] Hooded Warbler still at Wood Lake

Elijah Parker elijahparker@tds.net
Sat, 14 May 2005 13:25:27 -0500

Yesterday I tried for the Hooded Warbler between 3 and 5pm with no success
since things were pretty quiet there.  I only saw six warbler species, but
there were quite a few Black-and-whites more near the back of the center
(opposite the building).  Along the Hooded loop I saw 4 Red Fox kits and saw
them run to their den right inside the loop!  So keep an eye out for them
while you're looking for the Hooded.

The real highlight, though, was a Least Bittern!  In the cattails along the
long boardwalk I heard it move.  It wasn't even 15 feet from me, sneaking
through the reeds almost silently while I was taking all the pictures I
could.  And it never flushed!  I've never had such good looks at one before.
The exact location can be found by going counter-clockwise around the lake
from the Hooded Warbler loop, then going over the boardwalk.  The bittern was
on the left side (toward the building) right at edge where the cattails leave
the walk (2/3 across).

I put a photo of the bittern in the "Birds" section of
http://www.elijahparker.com (the categories are sorted by date taken, so the
latest will always be at the top).  Another new addition is a Prothonotary
Warbler from under the 35E bridge at the Mississippi on Thursday.  I had a
total of 50 species in Crosby farm park that day, but still only 8 warblers.
I saw several Prothonotaries, though.

Elijah Parker
Saint Paul, MN
http://www.elijahparker.com