[mou] Brown County Update

Brian Smith brsmith@sleepyeyetel.net
Mon, 16 May 2005 08:37:19 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0135_01C559F2.79208820

On Sunday, Dave Bartkey and myself spent the day birding around Brown =
county.  Despite the less than ideal weather conditions in the morning =
and early afternoon, we found good varieties of resident and migrant =
birds in almost any habitat. Highlights included:

Peregrine Falcon:  fly-over at the Sleepy Eye compost site
Veery: one bird heard giving its call note and song at Flandrau State =
Park
Cerulean Warbler: Dave found a male singing in a tree near the Minnesota =
river along Brown Cty. 10, west of Hwy. 4.  We were able to get =
excellent looks at this gorgeous bird.  First one I've seen in many =
years.
Hudsonian Godwit: one bird found in a flooded cow pasture on 140th St. =
west of Hwy. 258

Warblers were slow but steady.  The flocks that we found generally =
consisted of several birds on up to ten or more.  Overall, we had 16 =
species of warblers for the day.  We found no Wilson's and only one Palm =
all day. There are still good numbers of shorebirds around the county =
and we had 13 species in all. The recent rains have flooded a lot of the =
fields so the shorebirds seem to be more dispersed than usual.

Good Birding,

Brian Smith
Sleepy Eye

------=_NextPart_000_0135_01C559F2.79208820

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>On Sunday, Dave Bartkey and myself spent the day birding around =
Brown=20
county.&nbsp; Despite the less than ideal weather conditions in the =
morning and=20
early afternoon, we found good varieties of resident and migrant birds =
in almost=20
any habitat. Highlights included:</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>Peregrine Falcon</STRONG>: &nbsp;fly-over at the Sleepy=20
Eye&nbsp;compost site</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>Veery</STRONG>: one bird heard giving its call note and =
song at=20
Flandrau State&nbsp;Park</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>Cerulean Warbler</STRONG>: Dave found a male singing in a =
tree near=20
the Minnesota river along Brown Cty. 10, west of Hwy. 4.&nbsp; We were =
able to=20
get excellent looks at this gorgeous bird.&nbsp; First one I've seen in =
many=20
years.</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>Hudsonian Godwit</STRONG>: one bird&nbsp;found in a flooded =
cow=20
pasture on 140th St. west of Hwy. 258</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Warblers were slow but steady.&nbsp; The flocks that we=20
found&nbsp;generally consisted of several birds&nbsp;on up to ten or =
more.&nbsp;=20
Overall, we had 16 species of warblers for the day.&nbsp; We found no=20
Wilson's&nbsp;and only one Palm all day. There are still good numbers of =

shorebirds around the county and we had 13 species in all. The recent =
rains have=20
flooded a lot of the fields so the shorebirds seem to be more dispersed =
than=20
usual.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Good Birding,</DIV>