[mou] Question about kittiwake

Laura Erickson bluejay@lauraerickson.com
Tue, 17 May 2005 13:58:00 -0500 (CDT)

Tony Hertzel believes my "Black-legged Kittiwake" may actually be an
immature Ring-billed Gull, and the photos are inconclusive--I may actually
have been shooting more than one bird--it's very tricky to deal with a
digital camera which blacks out as you click, and this camera is just a
little one with 3x zoom.  But the bird my group saw looked different from
Ring-bills I've looked at, and so if you find yourself at Indian Point
looking for the Long-tailed Duck (which was still there this morning), pay
attention to the gulls just in case.

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

Staff Ornithologist
Binoculars.com
www.birderblog.com

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of birds.
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the
winter.

			--Rachel Carson