[mou] Borderland report and Voyageurs National Park Spring Birders Rendevous

Tom Crumpton reforest@wiktel.com
Wed, 18 May 2005 18:02:12 -0500

--------------000204080809020100000307

Sorry about no updates from here recently, its that time of year.  There
were some pretty pointed comments (ranting and raving) about people who
live in rural areas "up north" that made me sit back a while.  They were
made last winter by a person who no longer contributes to these pages
apparently.  Part of the child like name calling posting, I refer to,
said we just did not understand the opportunities the birds could
provide us.  So I have included some opportunities for the less
fortunate? below (no offense, just mean to share, lol).  As I said this
winter you will not find this place cruising the roads.  I did have a
visitor from England this winter who got to see pine and evening
grosbeaks (his goal) and a pileated woodpecker while he visited briefly
(he had contacted me from off this list based on my postings) .  I also
hosted a couple well known professional photographers (one of which
stayed a week).  Only feeder bird of note not back now, is indigo
bunting.  Front yard Duck boxes are used fairly regularly.  Some days I
will see them go in or out (or sit on top) 3-4 times without really
watching closely.
Yard birds:
20 + wood ducks feeding (mostly males) (goal is 50 this year)
mallards
Rose breasted grosbeaks returned about 1 week ago (2 males and 1 female
feeding so far)
Orioles and hummingbirds returned yesterday
Evening grosbeaks still present (they are year round and daily here)
both nuthatches feeding (red and white)
purple finches and gold finches
pine siskins pretty thick
black capped chickadees
pelicans  (50-100 within a mile and a half)
mourning doves
red winged black birds
blue jays (lots)
cow birds
grackle
common mergansers (occasionally sit on nesting boxes)
occasional pileated woodpecker (heard more than seen)
I think that there are a couple barred owl?  territories close by as
hear them calling from different areas every night
Front Yard river Birds
golden eyes  (using front yard nesting boxes)
Canadian geese (don't know particular variety)
bald eagles  (most young have hatched out)
occasional king fisher
Have not seen a hooded merganser for a while
Cruising Birds
Groups of sandhill cranes and individuals,  (mostly Lake of the Woods
county)
Ravens,  crows
a pair of great gray owls probably breeding about 10 miles south of here
(NE 1/4 22-158-27 for the location collector).  Also walked up on an
individual by Big Falls 4-5 weeks ago (SENW 11-154-25). That property is
for sale cheap if anyone is interested  about 88m for 220 acres I
think,  tough access though.
purple martins are back at neighbors (largest colony in county)
ruffed grouse still drumming

Sorry I'm not very good on the warblers and sparrows. I do have a fairly
broad knowledge of many other natural resources (like the morel picking
is good when the oak leaves are the size of a mouses ear).  What was
that name he called us?  LOL.   Large flowered bellwort in prime bloom
right now, morel picking should peak shortly and asparagus picking
should start real soon.  I have a long list of the birds that were seen
on the spring rendezvous at Voyageurs Nat'l. Park (VNP) on the spring
birders rendezvous w/e in 2003.  I think it is usually the first w/e in
june.  If your interested you could contact Tawnya Shoewe at VNP.  Sorry
about the scan quality but if there is a particular bird your interested
in maybe you can make it out.  MOU kicked out last mail due to size so I
took the attachment off but I will send it to anyone who desires it.

I do rent beds in a rustic (unfinished)  log home on occasion if anyone
is interested.  It is an extremely private location.  Given notice I can
also outfit a 1 bedroom apartment in a walkout basement with many
windows. I am located on the Canadian border on the Rainy River.  There
is a overly friendly golden retriever that only understands  the word no
that you would also have to put up with.  Location is between Baudette
and International Falls. Excuse me if this is not the proper forum for
this but I rarely advertise and you will not find me under motels and
hotels.
Take Care, Tom
218 634 1310

--------------000204080809020100000307

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Sorry about no updates from here recently, its that time of year.&nbsp;
There were some pretty pointed comments (ranting and raving) about
people who live in rural
areas "up north" that made me sit back a while.&nbsp; They were made last
winter by a person who no longer contributes to these pages
apparently.&nbsp; Part of the child like
name calling posting, I refer to, said we just did not understand the
opportunities the birds could provide us.&nbsp; So I have included some
opportunities for the less fortunate? below (no offense, just mean to
share, lol).&nbsp; As I said this winter you will not find this place
cruising
the roads.&nbsp; I did have a visitor from England this winter who got to
see pine and evening grosbeaks (his goal) and a pileated woodpecker
while he visited briefly (he had contacted me from off this list based
on my postings) .&nbsp; I also hosted a couple well known
professional photographers (one of which stayed a week).&nbsp; Only feeder
bird of note not back now, is indigo bunting.&nbsp; Front yard Duck boxes
are
used fairly regularly.&nbsp; Some days I will see them go in or out (or sit
on top) 3-4
times without really watching closely.<br>
20 + wood ducks feeding (mostly males) (goal is 50 this year)<br>
mallards<br>
Rose breasted grosbeaks returned about 1 week ago (2 males and 1 female
feeding so far)<br>
Orioles and hummingbirds returned yesterday<br>
Evening grosbeaks still present (they are year round and daily here)<br>
both nuthatches feeding (red and white)<br>
purple finches and gold finches<br>
pine siskins pretty thick<br>
black capped chickadees<br>
pelicans&nbsp; (50-100 within a mile and a half)<br>
mourning doves<br>
red winged black birds<br>
blue jays (lots)<br>
cow birds<br>
grackle<br>
common mergansers (occasionally sit on nesting boxes)<br>
occasional pileated woodpecker (heard more than seen)<br>
I think that there are a couple barred owl?&nbsp; territories close by as
hear them calling from different areas every night<br>
golden eyes&nbsp; (using front yard nesting boxes)<br>
Canadian geese (don't know particular variety)<br>
bald eagles&nbsp; (most young have hatched out) <br>
occasional king fisher<br>
Have not seen a hooded merganser for a while<br>
Groups of sandhill cranes and individuals,&nbsp; (mostly Lake of the Woods
county) <br>
Ravens,&nbsp; crows <br>
a pair of great gray owls probably breeding about 10 miles south of
here (NE 1/4 22-158-27 for the location collector).&nbsp; Also walked up on
an individual by Big Falls 4-5 weeks ago (SENW 11-154-25). That
property is for sale cheap if anyone is interested&nbsp; about 88m for 220
acres I think,&nbsp; tough access though. <br>
purple martins are back at neighbors (largest colony in county)<br>
ruffed grouse still drumming<br>
Sorry I'm not very good on the warblers and sparrows. I do have a
fairly broad knowledge of many other natural resources (like the morel
picking is good when the oak leaves are the size of a mouses ear).&nbsp;
What was that name he called us?&nbsp; LOL.&nbsp;&nbsp; Large flowered
bellwort in prime bloom right now, morel picking should peak shortly
and asparagus picking should start real soon.&nbsp; I have a long list of
the
birds that were seen on the spring rendezvous at Voyageurs Nat'l. Park
(VNP) on the spring birders rendezvous w/e in 2003.&nbsp; I think it is
usually the first w/e in june.&nbsp; If your interested you could contact
Tawnya Shoewe at VNP.&nbsp; Sorry about the scan quality but if there is a
particular bird your interested in maybe you can make it out.&nbsp; MOU
kicked out last mail due to size so I took the attachment off but I
will send it to anyone who desires it.<br>
I do rent beds in a rustic (unfinished)&nbsp; log home on occasion if anyone
is interested.&nbsp; It is an extremely private location.&nbsp; Given notice I
can also outfit a 1 bedroom apartment in
a walkout basement with many windows. I am located on the Canadian
border on the Rainy River.&nbsp; There is a overly friendly golden retriever
that only understands&nbsp; the word no that you would also have to put up
with.&nbsp; Location is between Baudette and International Falls. Excuse me
if this is not the proper forum for this but I rarely advertise and you
will not find me under motels and hotels.<br>
Take Care, Tom<br>
218 634 1310

--------------000204080809020100000307--