[mou] MRVAC - Aitkin County Birding Trip - Field Trip Report - 5/15 - 17, 2005

EgretCMan@aol.com EgretCMan@aol.com
Thu, 19 May 2005 01:06:52 EDT

-------------------------------1116479212

5/15 - 17, 2005

Minnesota River Valley Audubon Chapter
Aitkin County Birding Trip
Field Trip Report

9 - Participants
122 - Species observed

Enjoyed my first chapter camping trip of the season.  While  temperatures
were a little on the chilly side, it remained dry and partly  cloudy for most of
the trip.  Except for a small period of time spent  along the West shore of
lake Mille Lac's the entire trip was in Aitkin  county.

Sunday, May 15 - We began the trip on Sunday evening at Rice Lake NWR and
heard at least 5 American Bitterns and observed 2.  There were also  many Sedge
and Marsh Wrens calling there as well.  We ended the evening  trying for
Yellow Rails behind the Fireside Restaurant.  But did not hear  any there between
9:30 and 11:20pm.  We did hear one calling 7/10ths  of a mile South of Hwy 210
on Hwy. 65.  The bird was on the East side of  the road out from the sign
marking mile #116.  This bird was heard at  10:15pm, until 10:30pm and called the
entire time we were  there.

Monday, May 16 - We began the day on Township Road #380, watching
Sharp-tailed Grouse, Black-billed Magpie and a number of Sparrow  species.  We were at
this location between 7:00 and 8:30am and  the Grouse were active during the
entire time we were there.  We next  headed to the town of Palisade and
encountered a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher at  Berglund County Park, along with a few other
migrants.  Our next stop was  along CR 18, about 2 miles West of CR 5, were we
encounter a nice mix of  Warblers and several Blue Headed Vireo's.  We checked
the Hill City Sewage  ponds and found a dozen+ Common Goldeneye, but no
shorebirds.  From there  we headed over to the Washburn Lake Forest Road off of Hwy
200 and hit another  nice wave of Warblers and woods birds.  At the park in
Jacobson we  encountered a male Red-bellied Woodpecker.  We observed the  bird
carrying nesting material and was actively calling during part of our  visit.
 We ended the day with another attempt to see the Yellow  Rail we heard on
Sunday night, but were unable to because of high  water in the Marsh.  We heard
the bird from 10:10, until  11:20pm.

Tuesday, May 17 - We spent the first 4 hours of our day, birding the
wildlife drive at the Rice Lake NWR.  The lake was pretty quite, but we did  get to
see and hear many Savannah and Clay-colored Sparrows.  There  were also some
small waves of Warblers.  From there we headed to  Savannah Portage state park.
We observed many Cape May  and Blackburnian Warblers in the Spruce Tree's in
the  Campground.  We ended our day checking out some spots on the West  shore
of Lake Mille Lac's, where we observed a Ruddy Turnstone just  South of the
Rock wall(Spot with the statue of the big Walleye) rest area.

Was fun to see and hear so many species of birds on there breeding  grounds.
Here is a partial list of some of the birds we observed, all were  in Aitkin
County.  Unless otherwise mentioned:

Trumpeter Swan
Sharp-tailed Grouse - Township Road #380
American Bitter - Rice Lake NWR, main drive and Township Road #380.
Yellow Rail - Heard only along Hwy 65, 7/10ths of a mile South of Hwy.  210.
Ruddy Turnstone - Crow Wing County - Garrison, just South of the wayside,
with the Walleye
                           Statue.
Bonaparte's Gull - Mille Lac's County - On a Rock outcropping in Lake Mille
Lac's, across from the intersection of Hwy. 169 & CR 25.
Tern's along Lake Mille lakes - Common, Forester's and Caspian
Least Flycatcher
Black-billed Magpie - Township Road #380
17 Species of Warblers - Including Golden-winged, Cape May, Northern  Parula,
Blackburnian and Pine Warblers.
Bobolink - numerous locations
Purple Finch - fun to hear singing in 3 or 4 locations

Craig Mandel  - EgretCMan@aol.com - Minnetonka, MN

-------------------------------1116479212

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2627" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2><FONT id=3Drole_document face=3DArial=20=
color=3D#000000=20
size=3D2>
<DIV>5/15 - 17, 2005</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Minnesota River Valley Audubon Chapter</DIV>
<DIV>Aitkin County Birding Trip</DIV>
<DIV>Field Trip Report</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>9 - Participants</DIV>
<DIV>122 - Species observed</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Enjoyed my first chapter camping trip of the season.&nbsp; While=20
temperatures were a little on the chilly side,&nbsp;it remained dry and part=
ly=20
cloudy for most of the trip.&nbsp; Except for a small period&nbsp;of time sp=
ent=20
along the West shore of lake Mille Lac's the entire trip was in Aitkin=20
county.&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Sunday, May 15 - We began the trip on Sunday evening at Rice Lake NWR a=
nd=20
heard at least 5 American Bitterns and observed 2.&nbsp;&nbsp;There were als=
o=20
many Sedge and Marsh Wrens calling there as well.&nbsp; We ended the evening=
=20
trying for Yellow Rails behind the Fireside Restaurant.&nbsp; But did not he=
ar=20
any there&nbsp;between 9:30 and 11:20pm.&nbsp; We did hear one calling 7/10t=
hs=20
of a mile South of Hwy 210 on Hwy. 65.&nbsp; The bird was on the East side o=
f=20
the road out from the sign marking mile #116.&nbsp; This bird was heard at=20
10:15pm, until 10:30pm and called the entire time we were=20
there.&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Monday, May 16 -&nbsp;We began the day on Township Road #380, watching=20
Sharp-tailed Grouse, Black-billed Magpie and a number of Sparrow=20
species.&nbsp;&nbsp;We were at this location between 7:00 and 8:30am and=20
the&nbsp;Grouse were active during the entire time we were there.&nbsp; We n=
ext=20
headed to the town of Palisade and encountered a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher at=20
Berglund County Park, along with a few other migrants.&nbsp; Our next stop w=
as=20
along CR 18, about 2 miles West of CR 5, were we encounter a nice mix of=20
Warblers and several Blue Headed Vireo's.&nbsp; We checked the Hill City Sew=
age=20
ponds and found a dozen+ Common Goldeneye, but no shorebirds.&nbsp; From the=
re=20
we headed over to the Washburn Lake Forest Road off of Hwy 200 and hit anoth=
er=20
nice wave of Warblers and woods birds.&nbsp; At the park in Jacobson we=20
encountered a male Red-bellied Woodpecker.&nbsp; We observed the&nbsp; bird=20
carrying nesting material and was actively calling during part of our=20
visit.&nbsp;&nbsp;We ended the day with another attempt&nbsp;to see the Yell=
ow=20
Rail we heard on Sunday night,&nbsp;but were&nbsp;unable to because of high=20
water in the Marsh.&nbsp; We heard the bird from 10:10, until=20
11:20pm.&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Tuesday, May 17 - We spent the first 4 hours of our day, birding the=20
wildlife drive at the Rice Lake NWR.&nbsp; The lake was pretty quite, but we=
 did=20
get to see and hear many&nbsp;Savannah and Clay-colored Sparrows.&nbsp; Ther=
e=20
were also&nbsp;some small waves of Warblers.&nbsp; From there we headed to=20
Savannah Portage state park.&nbsp;&nbsp;We&nbsp;observed many Cape May=20
and&nbsp;Blackburnian Warblers in the Spruce Tree's in the=20
Campground.&nbsp;&nbsp;We ended our day checking out some spots on the West=20
shore of Lake Mille Lac's, where&nbsp;we observed a Ruddy Turnstone&nbsp;jus=
t=20
South of the Rock wall(Spot with the statue of the big Walleye) rest area.</=

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Was fun to see and hear so many species of birds on there breeding=20
grounds.&nbsp; Here is a partial list of some of the birds we observed, all=20=
were=20
in Aitkin County.&nbsp; Unless otherwise mentioned:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Trumpeter Swan</DIV>
<DIV>Sharp-tailed Grouse - Township Road #380&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>American Bitter - Rice Lake NWR, main drive and Township Road #380.</DI=

<DIV>Yellow Rail - Heard only along Hwy 65, 7/10ths of a mile South of Hwy.=20
210.</DIV>
<DIV>Ruddy Turnstone - Crow Wing County - Garrison, just South of the waysid=
e,=20
with the Walleye</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Statue.</DIV>
<DIV>Bonaparte's Gull - Mille Lac's County - On a Rock outcropping in Lake M=
ille=20
Lac's, across from the intersection of Hwy. 169 &amp; CR 25.</DIV>
<DIV>Tern's along Lake Mille lakes - Common, Forester's and Caspian</DIV>
<DIV>Least Flycatcher</DIV>
<DIV>Black-billed Magpie - Township Road #380</DIV>
<DIV>17 Species of Warblers - Including Golden-winged, Cape May, Northern=20
Parula, Blackburnian and Pine Warblers.</DIV>
<DIV>Bobolink - numerous locations</DIV>
<DIV>Purple Finch - fun to hear singing in&nbsp;3 or 4 locations=20
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 PTSIZE=3D"10" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF"=
>Craig Mandel=20
- EgretCMan@aol.com - Minnetonka, MN=20
</FONT></DIV></DIV></FONT></FONT></BODY></HTML>