[mou] Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow at Felton

patrick.beauzay@ndsu.edu patrick.beauzay@ndsu.edu
Thu, 19 May 2005 16:08:56 -0500 (CDT)

Hello all,

Just returned from the Felton Prairie area where I was setting up insect
survey traps.  I found a Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow near the
Bicentennial Prairie parking area.  Walk down the two-track road to the
east until you come to the flooded roadway.  The sparrow was calling from
a small patch of willow on the north edge of the road, and would
occasionally make himself visible.  Also nearby were a Loggerhead Shrike,
Eastern Kingbird, Grasshopper Sparrow, Clay-colored Sparrow, a Brown
Thrasher that was repeating phrases like a mockingbird's, and a Marbled
Godwit in the pasture just south of Bicentennial Prairie.

In the coming weeks, you may see a variety of insect traps on Bluestem and
Felton prairie SNA's.  These include small painted bowl traps, mesh flight
intercept traps, and tent traps.  These are part of an ongoing prairie
insect diversity study.  Please, do not disturb the traps.  If you happen
to see obvious evidence of vandalism (such as 4-wheeler tracks driving
directly over a trap), please contact me as soon as possible.  Thanks!

Good Birding

Pat

Patrick Beauzay
Department of Entomology