[mou] Prothonotary Warbler, Pike Island

Arjun Guneratne guneratne@macalester.edu
Mon, 23 May 2005 19:24:11 -0500

--------------050206040505080506010102

I saw a Prothonotary Warbler on Pike Island in Fort Snelling State Park
this morning around 9:30 a.m. It was about a third of the way along the
path that runs along the Mendota Bridge side of the island (between the
bridge to Pike Island and the first turnoff leading back to that
bridge)  on a tree between the path and the water. The habitat between
the island and the Mendota bridge is quite waterlogged, ideal for this
species.

 I first heard it call, looked for it and found it; I was able to
observe it fairly close up through binoculars for several minutes as it
moved from branch to branch before it flew into the woods.  It was a
male; I noted the bright yellow head and breast (no streaks), dark eye
and black bill, white vent and undertail coverts, grey wings.  The call
was a loud, four note wrink-wrink-wrink-wrink.

Arjun Guneratne
guneratne@macalester.edu

--------------050206040505080506010102

begin:vcard