[mou] YCNH directions

Randy Frederickson fredericksonr@willmar.k12.mn.us
Wed, 25 May 2005 07:23:35 -0500

People have contacted me and asked for directions to the 2 locations where
the YCNH has been seen in  Willmar, Kandiyohi county.

I would like to preface this by saying I have looked diligently for this
bird for parts of 7 days and about 5 hrs and HAVE NEVER FOUND IT when I was
looking.  The bugger always finds me after I have given up.  On Saturday I
watched it fly west across my property (can you say yard bird?) and was
confident I could relocate it being that part of the lake is more limited.
But it alluded me again, so...you are welcome to try for yourself.  It
obviously has a hang out or two we have not found.  (Only one other Willmar
birder has seen it).

Directions to Berquist Area:
Go west through Willmar on hwy 12.
As you are leaving town going west you will go over some RR tracks via a
bridge.
Proceed west about 1/4 mile and turn N. on 19th St.
Go one block and turn right (east).  Berquist park is about a half block
from this intersection on the N. side of the road.  The lake is at the N.
end and the heron has been seen in the snags at the S. end of the wetland.
Be aware, this area is small, if the bird is there, you will flush it.  I
would suggest walking in on the West trail and going slowly once you see the
water.  There are Green herons nesting here, so you should see them.

Directions to Robbins Island:
Go N. through Willmar on Business 71.
As you exit town to the N. you will go over a bridge then go through a 3 way
intersection with stoplight.  Proceed N throuth this intersection on hwy
#71, Robbins Island will be the next left.  This is a park and gets lots of
joggers, pet walkers, fisher people, etc.  I was surprised to find the bird
about 90 yards west of the swimming beach, in a low spot, hunting for worms.
I saw it from about 6:15 to 6:40 a.m.  It was flushed by a dog at that time,
but I was taking notes and did not see the direction.

FYI-
6 miles N. of Willmar is a large rookery.  I suspect the bird is utilizing
it. However, even with a scope, birds on the rookery are too far to ID.

Good luck.  Feel free to call me for, or to report updates.

Randy Frederickson
320 231-1291