[mou] Evening, Pine, possible Spruce Grouse

Pastor Al Schirmacher PastorAl@PrincetonFreeChurch.net
Sun, 13 Nov 2005 07:50:04 -0600

Nathan and I were able to venture into the wilds of Aitkin yesterday - had
Evening Grosbeaks (off Kestrel Avenue, north of Tamarack), Pine Grosbeaks
(169, couple miles north of CR 18) and a possible Spruce Grouse (snowmobile
trail on 18).

Possible Spruce:  very unique alarm call as we flushed it (woo-woo-woo or
tooting, female?), spread tail with no tail band, fled into the conifers -
unlike any Ruffed or Sharp-tailed we'd ever seen or heard.  However,
encounter was very brief.

Boreal Chickadees remain Nathan's jinx bird - missed them both at Rabey Tree
Farm and on 18's snowmobile trail.

Thanks to Kim Risen, Jo Blanich and others who shared Aitkin birding sites &
ideas.

Good birding to all.

Al & Nathan Schirmacher
Princeton, MN