[mou] Fwd: [wisb] 14-18 likely CAVE SWALLOWS at the South Metro Sewage Treatment Plant/Pier in Oak Creek

Jim Williams two-jays@att.net
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:39:15 -0600

Interesting.
Jim Williams
Wayzata

Begin forwarded message:

From: "William Mueller" <iltlawas@earthlink.net>
Date: November 13, 2005 6:07:59 PM CST
To: "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@lawrence.edu>
Subject: [wisb] 14-18 likely CAVE SWALLOWS at the South Metro Sewage
Treatment Plant/Pier in Oak Creek

As Bob Domagalski will no doubt post in additional detail later this
evening, (and Betsy Abert has already posted) we did indeed find between
12-18 (perhaps 20?) swallows that are most likely CAVE SWALLOWS at the
South Metro Sewage Treatment Plant/Pier in Oak Creek off of 5th Avenue,
this afternoon. Take I-94 to Ryan Road, go east to Howell, back north a
bit
to Puetz Road. The go east all the way to 5th Avenue and turn north
again.
Go about a block north. Look for the north-most entrance to the
treatment
facility. At some times of the year, one can drive into a parking lot
for
fishing access. Right now that lot is gated and locked, but you can
still
walk in, and walk all the way down the steps to the pier. We watched
these
birds for several hours in constantly changing light conditions, until
we
had numerous views of these birds from many angles. The
light-orange-colored throat, chestnut or cinnamon forehead on may birds,
and orange rump was plainly visible, but only for brief periods on each
bird. Birds flew immediately overhead on dozens of occasions, and I
repeatedly heard call notes that were unlike Cliff Swallow
vocalizations -
more like a "swit" or "kvit".

Bob and I and Betsy each climbed to perch on the steel seawall that
surrounds the treatment plant. Bob and I both think that what would be
useful here would be a light aluminum stepladder (no, I'm not joking),
so
that one could mount a scope on top and see over the wall (and a
camera-mounted scope might provide a photograph). I have no doubt that
continued climbing on this wall will eventually be prohibited. While one
can plainly see the birds when they fly up and over the treatment
ponds/tanks, a better view is from the wall (or, using a lightweight
ladder, OVER the wall). Because it was afternoon and the light was
challenging at times, it was often difficult to see all necessary field
marks at once - the birds are in constant motion and actively feeding.
But
over the course of several hours we collectively saw good views of many
of
these birds, and there were perhaps 7-9 in view at once from below the
wall, or 14-18 when one was ON the wall, and could see the treatment
ponds/tanks. Morning light MAY be better. I do expect these birds may
stay
more than a day or so. No doubt these birds were very hungry, and may
not
readily leave this easily-exploited food source until they have built up
their fat reserves again.

Also seen here today were one first -year Franklin's Gull, a Northern
Harrier, 3 Horned Grebes, 8-10 Yellow-rumped Warblers, and a few Tree
Sparrows, along with 250 or so Bonaparte's Gulls, many Ring-bills, a few
Herrings, Mallards, Canada Geese, Mourning Doves, and other common
species
throughout the afternoon.

Bill Mueller
Milwaukee, WI