[mou] Nelson's vs LeConte's ID

Milton Blomberg MJBFLWRMT@MSN.COM
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 20:25:20 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C5C5FD.13F331B0

Attn: MOU moderator, a bit long if you deem worthy. =20
All right, for you sparrow folks in the NW, help me out. Below is an =
email I sent up to PWLC in Fergus Falls and a response.  Anyone help me =
with the debate or are the field guides using a Nelson's photo for a =
LeConte's?

Good morning.  The other night prior to the presentation by Jim =
Fitzpatrick, I made a short loop around the cattail marsh.  A beautiful =
sparrow (2 of them) gave me good looks at the entrance to the floating =
boardwalk.  A lifer for me, but, two books convince me that it was a =
LeConte's (Kaufmans & Stokes), another two field guides tell me a =
Nelson's Sharptail (Golden and the Lone Pine Publication on MN/WI). =20
I am concluding they were Nelson's Sharptail, based on the Lone Pine =
description of habitat (cattails) and manner.  Size was slightly smaller =
than a song sparrow, profile near the same.  Skipping low on the =
boardwalk, not too flighty.  Beautiful gray patches, orange lines, =
strong orange buff line on mid-breast, white underparts.  Tail to long =
for a LeConte's, I think.  Anyway, I am sort of looking for confirmation =
from you or your colleague's perspective.  sincerely, Milt Blomberg  =
(Sci teacher- Holdingford, MN
PS  I liked the science of the ivory-billed presentation, mapping =
aspects, data collecting, changing methodology.=20

Milton=20

I really wish I could confirm your sighting  that would be a first for =
the Learning Center and the area   it is sparrow migration time so =
anything is possible=20

I will put the word out to keep an eye open=20

Thanks for the tip and   Thanks for attending the program I really =
enjoyed it myself.=20

Teresa=20
=20

Thanks for responding.  FYI further....near the entrance to the floating =
boardwalk, a couple of song sparrows off to the left prior the cattail =
edge, the Nelson's Sharptails were on the left side of the boardwalk in =
the cattails, flittered onto the boardwalk, hopping around wondering =
about me, then went into the cattails on the right side where again I =
got good looks.  This manner described well in the Lone Pine guide =
(probably Bob Jansens descript).  I can hardly believe it is a first =
sighting at PWLC (this year? or ever?).  The only problem I have with =
the ID is the possible LeConte's photo in both Kaufman and Stokes.  The =
photo of Nelson's in Stokes is poor.  Since I have not ever seen a =
LeContes, I impression, though, is that is is small and short-tailed =
like a Grasshopper Sparrow, secretive by dropping down into prairie =
grass habitat.  The feather markings were very distinct, as I have said, =
but to add....it had that "dark" spot blotch near the nape separated =
from the slate-gray eye patch.  Its feathering on the back very =
patterned mottling, quite pretty in its own right, let alone the =
rust-orange coloration and crown stripes.  Hope this helps more....let =
me know if the staff scope on it, but I will trust my instincts that =
they were Nelson's...I know they have been reported further up toward =
Moorhead at Feltons and etc on the MOU reporting.  sincerely, Milt
------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C5C5FD.13F331B0

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type =
content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1>
<STYLE></STYLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2722" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY id=3DMailContainerBody=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 10px; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; =
COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; PADDING-TOP: 15px; FONT-STYLE: =
normal; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; =
BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: =
none"=20
leftMargin=3D0 topMargin=3D0 acc_role=3D"text" CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area"><!--[gte IE 5]><?xml:namespace =
prefix=3D"v" /><?xml:namespace prefix=3D"o" /><![endif]-->
<DIV>Attn: MOU moderator, a bit long if you deem worthy.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>All right, for you sparrow folks in the NW, help me out.&nbsp;Below =
is an=20
email I sent up to PWLC in Fergus Falls and a response.&nbsp; Anyone =
help me=20
with the debate or are the field guides using a Nelson's photo for a=20
LeConte's?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Good morning.&nbsp; The other night prior to the presentation by =
Jim=20
Fitzpatrick, I made a short loop around the cattail marsh.&nbsp; A =
beautiful=20
sparrow (2 of them) gave me good looks at the entrance to the floating=20
boardwalk.&nbsp; A lifer for me, but, two books convince me that it was =
a=20
LeConte's (Kaufmans &amp; Stokes), another two field guides tell me a =
Nelson's=20
Sharptail (Golden and the Lone Pine Publication on MN/WI).&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>I am concluding they were Nelson's Sharptail, based on the Lone =
Pine=20
description of habitat (cattails) and manner.&nbsp; Size was slightly =
smaller=20
than a song sparrow, profile near the same.&nbsp; Skipping low on the =
boardwalk,=20
not too flighty.&nbsp; Beautiful gray patches, orange lines, strong =
orange buff=20
line on mid-breast, white underparts.&nbsp; Tail to long for a =
LeConte's, I=20
think.&nbsp; Anyway, I am sort of looking for confirmation from =
you&nbsp;or=20
your&nbsp;colleague's&nbsp;perspective.&nbsp; sincerely, Milt =
Blomberg&nbsp;=20
(Sci teacher- Holdingford, MN</DIV>
<DIV>PS&nbsp; I liked the science of the ivory-billed presentation, =
mapping=20
aspects, data collecting, changing methodology.&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Milton <BR><BR><FONT size=3D2>I really wish I =
could confirm=20
your sighting &nbsp;that would be a first for the Learning Center and =
the area=20
&nbsp; it is sparrow migration time so anything is =
possible</FONT></FONT>=20
<BR><BR><FONT face=3Dsans-serif size=3D2>I will put the word out to keep =
an eye=20
open</FONT> <BR><BR><FONT face=3Dsans-serif size=3D2>Thanks for the tip =
and &nbsp;=20
Thanks for attending the program I really enjoyed it myself.</FONT>=20
<BR><BR><FONT face=3Dsans-serif =
size=3D2>Teresa</FONT>&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>Thanks for responding.&nbsp; FYI further....near the entrance to =
the=20
floating boardwalk, a couple of song sparrows off to the left prior the =
cattail=20
edge, the Nelson's Sharptails were on the left side of the boardwalk in =
the=20
cattails, flittered onto the boardwalk, hopping around wondering about =
me, then=20
went into the cattails on the right side where again I got good =
looks.&nbsp;=20
This manner described well in the Lone Pine guide (probably Bob Jansens=20
descript).&nbsp; I can hardly believe it is a first sighting at PWLC =
(this year?=20
or ever?).&nbsp; The only problem I have with the ID is the possible =
LeConte's=20
photo in both Kaufman and Stokes.&nbsp; The photo of Nelson's in Stokes =
is=20
poor.&nbsp; Since I have not ever seen a LeContes, I impression, though, =
is that=20
is is small and short-tailed like a Grasshopper Sparrow, secretive by =
dropping=20
down into prairie grass habitat.&nbsp; The feather markings were very =
distinct,=20
as I have said, but to add....it had that "dark" spot blotch near the =
nape=20
separated from the slate-gray eye patch.&nbsp; Its feathering on the =
back very=20
patterned mottling, quite pretty in its own right, let alone the =
rust-orange=20
coloration and crown stripes.&nbsp; Hope this helps more....let me know =
if the=20
staff scope on it, but I will trust my instincts that they were =
Nelson's...I=20
know they&nbsp;have been&nbsp;reported further up toward Moorhead at =
Feltons and=20
etc on the MOU reporting.&nbsp; sincerely, =
Milt</DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C5C5FD.13F331B0--