[mou] Birder-to-birder Katrina relief

Jim Williams two-jays@att.net
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 16:11:30 -0500

Is the MOU involved in any of this? Are we helping?
Jim Williams
Wayzata

Begin forwarded message:

From: foodrev@aol.com
Date: October 5, 2005 12:51:59 PM CDT
To: sd-birds@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [sd-birds] Birder-to-birder Katrina relief

Dear SDOU birders:

Van Remsen of LSU and the man coordinating a  relief effort to benfit
the
birders of MS/LA that were wiped out by  Katrina/Rita, has sent the
following:

<<<Doug -- Jennifer Coulson lost  essentially everything, including her
house.  She is a doctoral student at  Tulane with Tom Sherry.  She was
1 week away
from defending her  dissertation on the biology of Swallow-tailed Kite,
and
she may have lost some  of her original data.  She's ready to be
"adopted" --
let me know which  group is willing to help her.>>>

I don't think we can help with the lost research (or perhaps we could
find  a
way?) but if the group is willing to sponsor Jennifer, I will contact
her and
  ask what her immediate birding needs are.

Other major organizations are providing life-sustaining assiatance. Our
  goal
would be to bring a bit of joy back to her life via our mutual love of
birds.

As some of you know, Swallow-tailed Kite is my favorite bird--perhaps
why
Van sent this to me. For those who have never seen one fly--boy, do you
have a
treat in store.

I will not contact either Van or Jennifer until the group speaks.

Groups from Oregon, Florida, South Carolina, Ohio and Iowa have already
adopted wiped-out birders. Perhaps others I am not aware of.

Doug Chapman
Sioux Falls, SD

Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home
page
http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/sBYolB/TM