[mou] Wigeons in Burnsville

spgej0@comcast.net spgej0@comcast.net
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 01:23:12 +0000

Sunday afternoon we spotted a couple dozen wigeons in a pond just northeast of Black Dog Lake. The pond is on the east side of the Black Dog Road down below the Cedar Ave (Hwy 77) bridge. I am a novice birder but am convinced that about 20 of these birds were Eurasian Wigeons. The yellow strip on the crown was very distinguished. I also noted a large green ear patch on some of the birds.
Could it be that we were seeing a group of American and Eurasian Wigeons together? Some of the information I've come across leads me to believe the Eurasians are not very common here - or there may be a single Eurasian with a group of Americans. Can anyone help verify the likelihood that there maybe a dozen of each? We watched them dabbling for quite awhile but never saw them fly.
Thanks for any ideas. Gary