[mou] MOU Field Trip Report: NorthShore

Tom Auer mthomasauer@gmail.com
Sun, 16 Oct 2005 19:22:53 -0500

------=_Part_13932_3324094.1129508573315

I'm a touch tired and burned out from a wonderful sunny weekend of birds on
the North Shore, but it was as good a trip as you could ever ask for. The
birds weren't overly abundant but we ran into plenty of interesting species=
.
The weather stayed fantastic with us the whole time, with nice sunny skies
and moderate temps. Some morning and evening cloudplay made for some
fantastic sunrises and sunsets. Our close group had a fun time, with lots o=
camaraderie and good laughs. On Saturday night in Grand Marais, we weren't
able to eat as group, so we split in two and one group reveled in the
fantastic Thai food, while the other enjoyed the eclectic ambience of the
Gunflint Tavern.

Lots of people on the trip made numerous tallies, with folks adding Life
Birds, State Birds, and important Year Birds! This morning, was truly sceni=
and grand out on Artist's Point, with a calling Northern Shrike, two
well-lit Black-bellied Plovers, frolicking Snow Buntings, close-to-shore
Long-tailed Ducks gleaming in the morning sun, and a skirmish between a
Common Loon and a Red-necked Grebe. Highlights for the whole trip included:

BLACKPOLL WARBLER - Stony Point
ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK - Stony Point & Hovland
COMMON YELLOWTHROAT - Knife River
SURF SCOTER - Good Harbor Bay & Paradise Beach
LONG-TAILED DUCK - Good Harbor Bay & Grand Marais Harbor
WESTERN MEADOWLARK - Two Harbors
BLACK SCOTER - Paradise Beach
BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER - Artist's Point
NORTHERN SHRIKE - Artist's Point
BOHEMIAN WAXWING - Hovland
NASHVILLE WARBLER - Lutsen Sea Villas
CAPE MAY WARBLER - Hovland
CLAY-COLORED SPARROW - Paradise Beach
HARRIS'S SPARROW - Artist's Point
WHITE-WINGED SPARROW - Hovland

Thanks to Kim Risen, my co-leader for his fantastic help and to all the
participants for coming. It was great time!

Tom Auer
MOU Field Trip Chairman

--
www.d.umn.edu/~auer0009 <http://www.d.umn.edu/%7Eauer0009>

------=_Part_13932_3324094.1129508573315

I'm a touch tired and burned out from a wonderful sunny weekend of
birds on the North Shore, but it was as good a trip as you could ever
ask for. The birds weren't overly abundant but we ran into plenty of
interesting species. The weather stayed fantastic with us the whole
time, with nice sunny skies and moderate temps. Some morning and
evening cloudplay made for some fantastic sunrises and sunsets. Our
close group had a fun time, with lots of camaraderie and good laughs.
On Saturday night in Grand Marais, we weren't able to eat as group, so
we split in two and one group reveled in the fantastic Thai food, while
the other enjoyed the eclectic ambience of the Gunflint Tavern.<br>
Lots of people on the trip made numerous tallies, with folks adding
Life Birds, State Birds, and important Year Birds! This morning, was
truly scenic and grand out on Artist's Point, with a calling Northern
Shrike, two well-lit Black-bellied Plovers, frolicking Snow Buntings,
close-to-shore Long-tailed Ducks gleaming in the morning sun, and a
skirmish between a Common Loon and a Red-necked Grebe. Highlights for
the whole trip included:<br>
BLACKPOLL WARBLER - Stony Point<br>
ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK - Stony Point &amp; Hovland<br>
COMMON YELLOWTHROAT - Knife River<br>
SURF SCOTER - Good Harbor Bay &amp; Paradise Beach<br>
LONG-TAILED DUCK - Good Harbor Bay &amp; Grand Marais Harbor<br>
WESTERN MEADOWLARK - Two Harbors<br>
BLACK SCOTER - Paradise Beach<br>
BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER - Artist's Point<br>
NORTHERN SHRIKE - Artist's Point<br>
BOHEMIAN WAXWING - Hovland<br>
NASHVILLE WARBLER - Lutsen Sea Villas<br>
CAPE MAY WARBLER - Hovland<br>
CLAY-COLORED SPARROW - Paradise Beach<br>
HARRIS'S SPARROW - Artist's Point<br>
WHITE-WINGED SPARROW - Hovland<br>
Thanks to Kim Risen, my co-leader for his fantastic help and to all the par=
ticipants for coming. It was great time!<br>
Tom Auer<br>
MOU Field Trip Chairman<br>
ww.d.umn.edu/~auer0009</a>

------=_Part_13932_3324094.1129508573315--