[mou] Hawk Ridge: Black-backed Woodpecker, Bohemian Waxwings + more

Debbie Waters dlpwaters@charter.net
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 19:52:48 -0500

Hawk Ridge News
October 20, 2005

Bird Business…

… Even though the numbers in October are not nearly as high as seen during
the big Broad-winged Hawk flights in September, it is still spectacular to
watch all these big birds migrate past the Ridge.  We’re getting into the
peak time now for Red-tailed Hawks, Northern Goshawks, Rough-legged Hawks,
and Bald and Golden Eagles.  Come and visit us—and remember to dress warmly!

… NORTHERN SHRIKES are here!  SEVEN have been seen at the main overlook over
the past week.  SNOW BUNTINGS have also been moving through—over 45 were
seen yesterday—and one hung around the main overlook today, checking out our
gravel paths.  HORNED LARKS, LAPLAND LONGSPURS, and BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS have
been seen over the past week, and one BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKER was spotted at
the main overlook on Sunday.  Some other birds that have been showing up
include PURPLE FINCHES (which migrate in varying numbers), EVENING
GROSBEAKS, and large numbers (1,000+ yesterday) of AMERICAN ROBINS.

For more information on the happenings at Hawk Ridge, including info on the
migration, passerines, the raptor forecast, and upcoming programs, visit our
website at http://www.hawkridge.org/about/news.html

Happy hawkwatching!
Debbie

__________________________________
Debbie Waters, Education Director
Hawk Ridge Bird Observatory
P.O. Box 3006
Duluth, MN 55803-3006
(218) 428-6209
dwaters@hawkridge.org
www.hawkridge.org

"I am a predator.  I hunt for knowledge!"  --4th grader, Northern Lights
Elementary

"Migration--it's a family tradition!"  --4th grader, Great Lakes Elementary