[mou] Hurricane effects us all.

Mike Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Fri, 2 Sep 2005 13:45:33 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C5AFC4.9763D440

Every day just like reading the daily newspaper I make the rounds on =
other state listserves to read what is happening in other states.  Today =
I went to Louisiana listserve and the only topic is a very touching =
thread in where birders who lived in the New Orleans area have a list of =
birders and they are trying to make contact with. to make sure they are =
located and safe.  A few of them so far have not been found or =
contacted. Very touching!

On another site some birders are angry with other birders that they are =
more concern about hurricane bird strays than the people who are going =
thru this.  On another site some birders are making plans to bird more =
locally as gas prices are expected to zoom way up!  This will no doubt =
effect birders in Minnesota as well. I suspect the days of chasing to =
see 300 in one year is not going to happen for sometime with the way gas =
prices are heading. =20

The increase in prices will also have a effect on MOU field trips, local =
Audubon field trips, private field trips and festivals.  Everything is =
going to be much more expensive.  Birders coming to Hawk Ridge Weekend =
in September and other festivals this Fall season are going to see gas =
prices near $4 per gallon or higher!  Hurricane Katrina is truly a =
devastating blow to all birders!

So far I read nothing on bird deaths related to this storm but read a =
lot of reverse migration just prior to the storm making landfall. =20

I am betting more birders are going to bird much more locally or in =
their backyards as prices begin to head to head north!

Michael Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Minnesota Birding Treks
http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/
------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C5AFC4.9763D440

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Every day just like reading =
the daily=20
newspaper I make the rounds on other state listserves to read what is =
happening=20
in other states.&nbsp; Today I went to Louisiana listserve and the only =
topic is=20
a very touching thread in where birders who lived in the New Orleans =
area have a=20
list of birders and they are trying to make contact&nbsp;with. to make =
sure=20
they&nbsp;are located and safe.&nbsp; A few of them so far have not been =
found=20
or contacted. Very touching!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>On another site some birders =
are angry=20
with other birders that they are more concern about hurricane bird =
strays than=20
the people who are going thru this.&nbsp; On another site some birders =
are=20
making plans to bird more locally as gas prices are expected to zoom way =

up!&nbsp; This will no doubt effect birders in Minnesota as well. I =
suspect the=20
days of chasing to see 300 in one year is not going to happen for =
sometime with=20
the way gas prices are heading.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>The increase in prices will =
also have a=20
effect on MOU field trips, local Audubon field trips, private field =
trips and=20
festivals.&nbsp; Everything is going to be much more expensive.&nbsp; =
Birders=20
coming to Hawk Ridge Weekend in September and other festivals this Fall =
season=20
are going to see gas prices near $4 per gallon or higher!&nbsp; =
Hurricane=20
Katrina is truly a devastating blow to all birders!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>So far I read nothing on bird =
deaths=20
related to this storm but read a lot of reverse migration just prior to =
the=20
storm making landfall.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>I am betting more birders are =
going to=20
bird much more locally or in their backyards as prices begin to head to =
head=20
north!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Michael =
Hendrickson<BR>Duluth,=20
Minnesota<BR>Minnesota Birding Treks<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/">http://webpages.chart=
er.net/mmhendrickson/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C5AFC4.9763D440--