[mou] Re: [mnbird] Hawk Ridge: Swainson's Hawk & record passerines!

Laura Erickson bluejay@lauraerickson.com
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 14:26:57 -0500 (CDT)

Yesterday morning, boaters and fishermen came upon a sizeable bird kill on
Lake Superior between Grand Marais and Paradise Harbor.  Molly Hoffman
called to tell me about it this morning.  Apparently "hundreds" of small
birds including Swainson's Thrushes and warblers were seen dead in the
water, floating in "slicks" of debris, including birch branches with
leaves still on them.  The DNR went out there yesterday afternoon and
picked up some of the carcasses.  It's hard to know what happened.

If anyone has observed anything like this, or has any ideas what may have
happened, I'd appreciate hearing from you.  I've posted what I know about
it on my blog, along with John Idzikowski's comments (he's an authority on
using weather data and radar to study nocturnal migration) and would like
to keep people updated.

http://www.birderblog.com/?v=09-08-05#09-08-05_113806.txt

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

Staff Ornithologist
Binoculars.com
www.birderblog.com

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of birds.
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the
winter.

			--Rachel Carson