[mou] Re: [mnbird] Hurricane risks for wildlife

Laura Erickson bluejay@lauraerickson.com
Thu, 22 Sep 2005 21:20:06 -0500 (CDT)

One serious potential problem facing Whooping Cranes at Aransas will be in
the event of a serious oil spill or leak of one of the many chemical
plants in the area.  Fortunately, the largest chemical manufacturing
plants are fairly well designed to prevent hurricane damage and leaks.
But there are a great many refineries and offshore oil rigs--a leak or
anything that harms water quality enough to impact blue crabs will affect
Whooping Crane winter survival--the blue crab numbers in winter are highly
correlated with Whooping Crane breeding survival the following summer.

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

Staff Ornithologist
Binoculars.com
www.birderblog.com

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of birds.
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the
winter.

			--Rachel Carson