[mou] Sabines Gull

Steve Weston sweston2@comcast.net
Wed, 28 Sep 2005 00:55:48 -0500

Saw the juvenile Sabine's Gull this morning.  The bird was quite unaffected
by the nearby birders, which I have found characteristic of several of the
high latitude species.  It flew around the parking lot with good agility.
the flight pattern reminded me of a barn swallow with its many twists and
turns, only a larger, lumbering version.  It seemed quite successful in its
hunt for food.  At the entrance to the parking lot the gull flew by a
similar sized juvenile Sharp-shinned lurking in ambush in the trees.  The
short flurry attack of the hawk was answered with an almost effortless
avoidance maneuver by the gull.  The gull settled to the pavement about
twenty feet from the encounter.  After a few seconds, the gull resumed its
hunt, flying again right by the waiting hawk, and again easily sidestepping
its charge.

I thought the gull appeared alert, agile, and in good condition, despite its
apparent lack of a set of functioning legs.  A beautiful bird.

sweston2@comcast.net