[mou] Clay Co Tundra Swans, et al.

patrick.beauzay@ndsu.edu patrick.beauzay@ndsu.edu
Mon, 3 Apr 2006 10:21:31 -0500 (CDT)

Hello all,

I swung through northeastern Clay County yesterday around the Felton
prairies and points east, and found large flocks of mixed waterfowl in a
flooded marsh bordered by plowed land at the corner of 140th and 230th.
Species present were:

100+ Tundra Swans
50+ Greater White-fronted Geese
300+ Canada Geese
4 Hooded Merganser
100+ Ring-necked Ducks
4 Canvasbacks
10 Common Goldeneye
1 Gadwall
1 Lesser Scaup

A few of the gravel roads in the area are impassable due to high water.
Several Great Blue Herons, a few Wood Ducks, a flock of Rusty Blackbirds,
many Red-winged Blackbirds, a few Lapland Longspurs, 3 small flocks of
American Tree Sparrows, and 1 Killdeer were also seen in the area.  I also
had a group of about 6 small drab sparrows that flew into grassland cover
before I could ID them, but if I had to guess I'd say they were probably
Clay-colored Sparrows.

I saw several flocks of Tundra Swans in Hubbard and Becker counties also.
They appear to be moving through the region in good numbers right now.

Good Birding!

Pat

Patrick Beauzay
Department of Entomology