[mou] Dakota County Birds

Steve Weston sweston2@comcast.net
Mon, 3 Apr 2006 19:34:02 -0500

While crossing the Mississippi on I-35E I counted a low flying swirl of at
least 6 Turkey vultures.  I suspect that some carrion was probably ripening
below.

Also I forgot to mention the Great Horned Owl that I reported yesterday is
probably a the same one I reported on a nest less than a block away last
winter.  it sat on the nest for a couple of weeks after I found it just
before the CBC and then disappeared.  Given the abortive attempt at nesting
last year and the presence of only one owlet this year, I would suspect that
this is a young female.

Saw my first Common Egrets (6) of the year down near the new Cedar Bridge.
Also saw a pair of Canada Geese on the top of a snag.  I don't think that I
have ever seen them in a tree before.

sweston2@comcast.net