[mou] Minnesota whoopers??

barbara sallee salleeba@yahoo.com
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 13:36:14 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1553467982-1144269374=:83944

http://www.operationmigration.org/Field_Journal.html
  You can follow the journal for the FL crane population at this site.
  Barbara Sallee

Robert_Russell@fws.gov wrote:
    I've received 4 reports of Whooping Cranes in the past day so something may be up out there. Two reports are from the Tamarack NWR/Detroit Lakes area and the other two came from the east side of Sherburne NWR and the east side of Fremont Lake near Zimmerman, the latter bird heading southward toward a nearby wetland. The bird reported from Tamarack NWR was banded but does not appear to be from the Wisconsin population so thus might be a legitimate WILD bird from the Aransas flock (with the caveat IF it is a whooper as Great Egrets, pelicans, and sandhills are all migrating now and have been misidentified by many people in the past). A search earlier today did not relocate it on the refuge but it might be in the general vicinity. The Sherburne County bird might be a Wisconsin bird which was last seen in early March wintering in Osceola County, Florida. Please note any color band combinations on the Sherburne County bird if seen and report to me and/or call Richard
 Urbanek, the eastern population whooping crane biologist at 612-804-0959 (cellphone) between 10 a.m. and 10 p.m. (he likes to sleep in). Currently Richard is tracking 12 of last year's birds moving northward across southern Wisconsin today. Richard requests that observers keep their distance from the cranes so as to minimize human contact. Thanks to Carrol Henderson, MN DNR and Wayne Brininger, Tamarack NWR, for forwarding these reports. An update on the eastern population will be forthcoming. Bob Russell, USFWS

--0-1553467982-1144269374=:83944

 have been misidentified by many people in the past). A search earlier today did not relocate it on the refuge but it might be in the general vicinity. The Sherburne County bird might be a Wisconsin bird which was last seen in early March wintering in Osceola County, Florida. Please note any color band combinations on the Sherburne County bird if seen and report to me and/or call Richard Urbanek, the eastern population whooping crane biologist at 612-804-0959 (cellphone) between 10 a.m. and 10 p.m. (he likes to sleep in). Currently Richard is tracking 12 of last year's birds moving northward across southern Wisconsin today. Richard requests that observers keep their distance from the cranes so as to minimize human contact. Thanks to Carrol Henderson, MN DNR and Wayne Brininger, Tamarack NWR, for forwarding these reports. An update on the eastern population will be forthcoming. Bob Russell, USFWS</div></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><p>

		<hr size=1><a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman3/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39666/*http://beta.messenger.yahoo.com">Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.</a> PC-to-Phone calls for ridiculously low rates.
--0-1553467982-1144269374=:83944--