[mou] Interesting evening

Dave Bartkey screechowl@charter.net
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 20:55:29 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C658F3.45BDC640

Hi everyone,
  I went for a short walk tonight at River Bend Nature Center, seeing my =
first ruby-crowned kinglet of the year, and also a couple of =
yellow-bellied sapsucker. That was nice, but it was when I finished my =
walk and was in the parking lot, about 6:10 pm, when things picked up. =
First, I was greeted by an osprey and two sharp-shinned hawks flying =
over. Then, a procession of turkey vultures came flying in from the =
south. 17 of them to be exact. As I was watching the last of the =
vultures fade away to the north, a flock of 8 sandhill cranes came =
flying through, acting as if they might land in the prairie. Thinking =
better of it, they climbed higher, calling as they flew west. A male =
northern harrier, a Cooper's hawk, and a red-tailed hawk were seen as =
well in that minor spurt of migration. I also saw over 100 tree swallows =
near Morristown, and I saw a few common goldeneyes on a small pond =
southwest of Morristown. What was really weird about that is one of the =
males had a solid black head and a gray wash above and around the legs =
on the rear half. It was swimming with the rest of the males and one =
female, and was throwing its head back, displaying like the rest of =
them. Anyone ever see something like that before?

Good birding!

Dave Bartkey
Faribault,MN
screechowl@charter.net
------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C658F3.45BDC640

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi everyone,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp; I went for a short walk tonight =
at River=20
Bend Nature Center, seeing my first ruby-crowned kinglet of the year, =
and also a=20
couple of yellow-bellied sapsucker. That was nice, but it was when I =
finished my=20
walk and was in the parking lot, about 6:10 pm, when things picked up. =
First, I=20
was greeted by an osprey and two sharp-shinned hawks flying over. Then, =
a=20
procession of turkey vultures came flying in from the south. 17 of them =
to be=20
exact. As I was watching the last of the vultures fade away to the =
north, a=20
flock of 8 sandhill cranes came flying through, acting as if they might =
land in=20
the prairie. Thinking better of it, they climbed higher, calling as they =
flew=20
west. A male northern harrier, a Cooper's hawk, and a red-tailed hawk =
were seen=20
as well in that minor spurt of migration. I also saw over 100 tree =
swallows near=20
Morristown, and I saw a few common goldeneyes on a small pond southwest =
of=20
Morristown. What was really weird about that is one of the males had a =
solid=20
black head and a gray wash above and around the legs on the rear half. =
It was=20
swimming with the rest of the males and one female, and was throwing its =
head=20
back, displaying like the rest of them. Anyone ever see something like =
that=20
before?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Good birding!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Dave Bartkey</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Faribault,MN</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:screechowl@charter.net">screechowl@charter.net</A>=20
</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C658F3.45BDC640--