[mou] Heron and big fish

Gail Wieberdink wieber64@comcast.net
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 15:02:29 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0002_01C65A54.49E53A70

We saw our first great blue heron of the season today at Central Park in
Roseville, Ramsey County.  We were walking our dogs on the path through the
marshland and rounded a corner and startled the heron who was standing right
in the middle of a flooded area of the path.  As the bird flew off, we
walked up to the water where he had been standing and discovered his lunch!
The bird had caught a rather large northern pike!  This area is not a lake
but rather a marshland.  It is flooded due to the recent rains and there are
culverts under Victoria Street that connect to the tiny Bennett Lake so I
assume this is how the fish got into the marsh.  The northern was a good
size, perhaps 10 to 12 inches long, certainly larger than I had expected a
heron to catch and larger than I would have thought for a fish from such a
tiny lake.  We felt bad that the heron had flown off without his fish so we
left the area and hope that he went back.  The northern was still alive but
barely, had a few peck marks on him.  He was lying on his side in about 2
inches of water on the path when we left.

Gail Wieberdink
wieber64@comcast.net

------=_NextPart_000_0002_01C65A54.49E53A70

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2838" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D515434519-07042006><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We saw =
our first=20
great blue heron of the season&nbsp;today at Central&nbsp;Park in =
Roseville,=20
Ramsey County.&nbsp; We were walking our dogs on the path&nbsp;through =
the=20
marshland and rounded a corner and startled the heron who was standing =
right in=20
the middle of a flooded area of the path.&nbsp; As the bird flew off, we =
walked=20
up to the water where he had been standing and discovered his =
lunch!&nbsp; The=20
bird had caught a rather large northern pike!&nbsp; This area is not a =
lake but=20
rather a marshland.&nbsp; It is flooded due to the recent rains and =
there are=20
culverts under Victoria Street that connect to the tiny Bennett Lake so =
I assume=20
this is how the fish got into the marsh.&nbsp; The northern was a good =
size,=20
perhaps 10 to 12 inches long,&nbsp;certainly larger than I had expected =
a heron=20
to catch and larger than I would have thought for a fish from such a =
tiny=20
lake.&nbsp;&nbsp;We felt bad that the heron&nbsp;had flown off without =
his fish=20
so we&nbsp;left the area and hope that he went back.&nbsp; The northern =
was=20
still alive but barely, had a few peck marks on him.&nbsp; He was lying =
on his=20
side in about&nbsp;2 inches of water on the path when we=20
left.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D515434519-07042006><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D515434519-07042006><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Gail Wieberdink</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:wieber64@comcast.net">wieber64@comcast.net</A></FONT></DIV=

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT></SPAN></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0002_01C65A54.49E53A70--