[mou] Red-tailed hawk nest duties

Clay Christensen clay.christensen@comcast.net
Sun, 09 Apr 2006 02:43:50 +0000

--NextPart_Webmail_9m3u9jl4l_26380_1144550630_0

I forgot to mention that our St. Paul Audubon Metro Lakes trip wound up watching the red-tailed hawk nest at Zimmerman Lake, B2 just east of Snelling, MnDOT parking lot.

We saw one hawk on the nest. The other was hunting nearby and defending the area from a flock of crows. Someone asked if red-tails shared incubation duties. I said I usually look up such things in The Birder's Handbook, but it looked like we were about to find out first hand, as the second hawk flew to the nest.

It perched on the left side of the nest. The hawk that had been on the nest stepped out to the right edge, facing away, as the arriving hawk took its place on the nest. The first hawk flew off to find lunch.

We had a very good look and confirmed what the book says: Both red-tailed hawks share incubation duties.

Clay Christensen
--NextPart_Webmail_9m3u9jl4l_26380_1144550630_0

<DIV>I forgot to mention that our St. Paul Audubon Metro Lakes trip wound up watching the red-tailed hawk nest at Zimmerman Lake, B2 just east of Snelling, MnDOT parking lot.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>We saw one hawk on the nest. The other was hunting nearby and defending the area from a flock of crows. Someone asked if red-tails shared incubation duties. I said I usually look up such things in The Birder's Handbook, but it looked like we were about to find out first hand, as the second hawk flew to the&nbsp;nest. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>It perched on the left side of the nest. The hawk that had been on the nest stepped out to the right edge,&nbsp;facing away, as the arriving hawk&nbsp;took its place on the nest. The first hawk flew off to find lunch.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>We had a very good look and confirmed what the book says: Both red-tailed hawks share incubation duties.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Clay Christensen</DIV></body></html>

--NextPart_Webmail_9m3u9jl4l_26380_1144550630_0--