[mou] Hubbard Co. Wood Thrush, Osprey, et al.

patrick.beauzay@ndsu.edu patrick.beauzay@ndsu.edu
Sun, 9 Apr 2006 22:41:25 -0500 (CDT)

Hello all,

I spent Saturday birding in southern Hubbard County.  Lots of thrushes -

18 Eastern Bluebird
15 Hermit Thrush
100+ American Robin
And the highlight of the day, a very early Wood Thrush right across from
Eagle Bay Farms Nursery about 1/2 mile west of Hubbard CR 20 on Circle
Pines Drive.  I had flushed the bird from the side of the gravel road near
a second-growth deciduous woodlot, and found it again skulking in the
underbrush.

Hopefully the warm southerly winds will continue to bring in more migrants
to the region this week.  Other first of year birds in Hubbard Co. (for me
anyhow):

Common Loon
Song Sparrow
Fox Sparrow
Eastern Phoebe - 8 total, one pair in our backyard singing like crazy.
Northern Flicker
Belted Kingfisher
Osprey

We also have a pair of Southern Flying Squirrels visiting our feeders at
night.  They particularly like the woodpecker suet log (an 18" birch log
drilled with 1" holes and packed with a peanut butter and suet mixture).
They were chasing each other around the tree trunks and gliding from tree
to tree for about half an hour.  Absoulutely wonderful to have them here!

Good Birding!

Pat

Patrick Beauzay
Department of Entomology