[mou] kestrels & mergansers dont play nice

TeamVagrant@aol.com TeamVagrant@aol.com
Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:48:00 EDT

-------------------------------1145576880

For the fourth year in a row, we have the kestrels moving into a woodduck
house I put on a spruce by my pond.  Another house I put up is on the other
side of the pond 75 - 100 yards away.  The hooded mergansers want into that
house in a bad way but on every chance for an "open house" viewing, the kestrels
of the neighborhood bully them away.  To the point of going right in the
house with the perspective owners to evict them.
Any chance they can just learn to live with each other and put their
differences aside?  I could understand it if they ate at the same  restaurant, but
hey, ones surf the other turf.

Charlie and I had the opportunity for another trip to Arizona and returned
home last Friday.  We had the chance to see the Flame-colored Tanager,  Least
Grebe, Montezuma Quail and found 7 sp. of owls, including Spotted, Elf,
Northern Pygmy, Whiskered Screech, Western Screech, Barn, Great Horned and a
Flammulated (which I believe was the first of the season for Cave Creek  Canyon).
Crissel Thrashers, Mexican Chickadees, Juniper Titmouse  and Lesser Nighthawk
were just some of the other highlights.  Pretty  good for only 2 full days of
birding.
We've been quite fortunate on our other trips as well, adding other such
birds as Berylline Hummer, Violet Crowned Hummers, Elegant Trogon, Yellow-green
Vireo, Varied Bunting and Red-faced Warbler.  These birds and countless
others have graced my binoculars in some very beautiful country.
I feel very fortunate, now, to look forward to the spring migration here at
home and see the spring plumage of our warblers and watch our countryside wake
 up.

Chris Elmgren
Duluth

-------------------------------1145576880

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1106" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV>For the fourth year in a row, we have the kestrels moving into a wooddu=
ck=20
house I put on a spruce by my pond.&nbsp; Another house I put up is on the o=
ther=20
side of the pond 75 - 100 yards away.&nbsp; The hooded mergansers want into=20=
that=20
house in a bad way but on every chance for an "open house" viewing, the kest=
rels=20
of the neighborhood bully them away.&nbsp; To the point of going right in th=
e=20
house with the perspective owners to evict them.</DIV>
<DIV>Any chance they can just learn to live with each other and put their=20
differences aside?&nbsp; I could understand it if they ate at the same=20
restaurant, but hey, ones surf the other turf.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Charlie and I had the opportunity for another trip to Arizona and retur=
ned=20
home last Friday.&nbsp; We had the chance to see the Flame-colored Tanager,=20
Least Grebe, Montezuma Quail and found 7 sp. of owls, including Spotted, Elf=
,=20
Northern Pygmy, Whiskered Screech, Western Screech, Barn, Great Horned and a=
=20
Flammulated (which I believe was the first of the season for Cave Creek=20
Canyon).&nbsp; Crissel Thrashers, Mexican Chickadees, Juniper Titmouse=20
and&nbsp;Lesser Nighthawk were just some of the other highlights.&nbsp; Pret=
ty=20
good for only 2 full days of birding.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>We've been quite fortunate on our other trips as well, adding other suc=
h=20
birds as Berylline Hummer, Violet Crowned Hummers, Elegant Trogon, Yellow-gr=
een=20
Vireo, Varied Bunting and Red-faced Warbler.&nbsp; These birds and countless=
=20
others have graced my binoculars in some very beautiful country.&nbsp; </DIV=

<DIV>I feel very fortunate, now, to look forward to the spring migration her=
e at=20
home and see the spring plumage of our warblers and watch our countryside wa=
ke=20
up.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Chris Elmgren</DIV>