[mou] Juvenile Mockingbird

Thomas Maiello thomas@angelem.com
Sun, 23 Apr 2006 10:04:13 -0500

After living and birding in Oklahoma for some 20 years, I was working in
my yard this morning in Spring Lake Park.  I heard the distinctive
mimicry of a mockingbird.  I have never seen one in Minnesota before,
even after 15 years.  And there in the tree nest to my house poised on
the uppermost crown was a juvenile Mockingbird complete with faint
breast spots and windows in its wings.  It perched for about 15 minutes
calling its varied doublets and triplets and flew to the top of another
tree across the street.  I studied these birds in college and know that
they set up a perimeter around their nesting site by perching on
selected tall tree tops and call repeatedly and seemingly forever as
they stake their ground.  When they have young in their nest they perch
and fly straight up and down calling in a territorial display - usually
in early to mid summer in Oklahoma.  Mine wasn't doing that - just
calling.   It was here for about an hour and now I don't hear or see
it.  I am all ears though.  Are these fairly common in this neck of the
woods or suburbs?

Thomas Maiello