[mou] Osprey & Eagle 4/23 6:30 p.m.

Kathy Confer confer@umn.edu
Mon, 24 Apr 2006 14:39:54 -0500

Yes, what a beautiful Sunday evening! My mother-in-law is visiting from
Raleigh, NC, so thought we'd "wow" her with a convertible ride to the
Keller Lake eagles' nest on Hwy 36. We were heading south on Lexington
Ave near Lake Josephine when we looked up and saw an adult eagle fly
over, heading southeast. We turned the car around on Lexington and then
headed across Co Rd C2, to try and relocate/ follow the eagle. Within 10
seconds we had it in sight again, and then my husband noticed an osprey
out of the corner of his eye, also heading southeast after the eagle!
When the eagle crossed Victoria St, the osprey turned around and headed
back toward Lake Josephine....We talked about the encounter all the way
to Keller Lake, where we observed one eagle standing in the nest; about
10 minutes later, the other adult eagle circled overhead then landed on
a dead branch above and to the left of the nest (we were watching from
the "eagle viewing area" in the park just south of 36)...I suspect that
the eagle we witnessed being "chased" by the osprey was the eagle that
landed in the tree....

Good birding to all...

Kathy Confer