[mou] S. Minneapolis Merlins

Terence Brashear birdnird@yahoo.com
Sun, 6 Aug 2006 14:41:21 -0700 (PDT)

The birds were not present from 3-4:15PM. I walked two
blocks north, south, east, and west listening for
begging calls, and looking for the birds.

They must have moved the group somewhere else.  With
the direction of the wind today looking to the south
might make sense.

Regards,

Terry Brashear

--- Bruce Fall <bafall@umn.edu> wrote:

> Since at least the end of July there have been 3
> juvenile Merlins in
> the vicinity of 28th Ave. S and 44th St. E.,
> Minneapolis (Hennepin
> Co.), just NE of L. Hiawatha. The parents are
> usually away hunting
> but return regularly with prey to feed the young
> (House Sparrow
> identified so far), and are greeted with loud
> calling. It's likely
> they nested nearby--the young can fly but they are
> rather clumsy. The
> 3 young spend much of their time perched
> conspicuously in the bare
> top of a tall spruce on the E side of 28th Ave., 25
> yds. N of 44th
> St. (stoplight). We've also seen them in another
> spruce S of 44th St.
>
> Bruce A. Fall
> S. Minneapolis

Terry Brashear