[mou] August movement; County Reports; Thanks (no rarities)

Pastor Al Schirmacher PastorAl@PrincetonFreeChurch.net
Tue, 8 Aug 2006 09:49:57 -0500

Observed three species at Kunkel WMA (southern Mille Lacs County) this
morning that are a bit unusual for the county:  Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher, Field
Sparrow & Great Egret.  All three are relatively common in Sherburne, wonder
if they are part of the post-breeding dispersal that seems to happen with a
number of species?  Would love to understand the dynamics (and which species
are impacted) of this dispersal a little better.

For those people who submit their field trips electronically to MOU, please
don't forget that August begins the fall 2006 season.  Reports seem a little
scanty at the moment (otherwise, how would Sherburne & Mille Lacs currently
be #3 & #4 in total species?).  It's so easy to think of August as
summer....

I want to concur with my sons thanks from Saturday - excellent directions
from a number of MOU/MnBird subscribers made our first Murphy-Hanrahan and
Jirik Sod Farm visits both successful and enjoyable.  The Common Moorhen,
Black-crowned Night Heron and Buff-breasted Sandpipers were all state birds
for Nathan.

Good birding to all!

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN