[mou] Elusive Moorhens

Dan & Sandy Thimgan thimgan@digitaljam.com
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 07:02:12 -0500

The Otter Tail County Moorhens reported earlier in the week proved elusive
for us on 8/15.  We spend about 1.5 hours in the area, and only one of us
had brief looks at one chick and later two chicks. We never did see the
adults.

At one point, we did hear fervent vocalizing, presumably by the adult(s).
Shortly thereafter, we heard and saw rustling in the roadside grass.
Ultimately, a mink emerged, ran half-way across the highway, gave us a look,
then continued on.  There was additional chatter, then two chicks were
briefly seen scampering across a mudflat in the back part of the wetland.

Sandhill Cranes were also heard in the vicinity.

Repeated directions from Jeanie Joppru's earlier post (unfortunately, we ran
out of the "patience" she mentioned):
In Otter Tail County, the COMMON MOORHEN family was relocated on Sunday,
August 6 by Steve and Diane Millard and others in the slough along the
portion of CR 67/CR 8 where they run together in northeastern Otter Tail
County north of New York Mills. This is only a very short stretch, and
this slough south of a farmstead on the east side of the road is easy to
find; no better viewing is possible, but the birds are easy to see from
the county road if they are out in the open. Patience is required as
there are many cattails to hide in. One adult and three chicks were seen
on Sunday.
--
Dan & Sandy Thimgan
Otter Tail County